Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put disc brakes on my bike but the hubs on my mavics X138 are non disc specific. I am also on a budget so i cannot really affort a wheel replacement so I was thinking to change just the front hub and only have a front disc brake for now. I have read Avids BB7 are good and also you don't need to replace the V brake lever either? Is that right? What is your opinion. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
If those are the avid mechanicals I believe you're correct in that you can keep the same levers. As for just changing the hubs you can get a front disc wheel for less than $100 (I'm running just a front disc) Shimano XT disc hub. Still if you're dead set on just doing the hub I assume you know how to properly install spokes and true a wheel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
My '99 Specialized frame doesn't support rear discs so I went with Avid mechs in the front and kept v brakes in the rear and it works just fine. I'm happy with this set up as 70% of your stopping power is in the front brakes. Going mechs allowed me to keep the same levers for both the disc and the v brake.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
you should be able to find a decent disc front wheel for around $50. it would probably be cheaper to buy a disc front wheel than to buy a separate disc hub and build up a wheel for it. a set of deore disc wheels can be had for under $100.

try ebay, classifiesds, or your local bike shop for a disc front wheel. bike shops often have older parts, or parts they took off other bikes just laying around the shop that you can buy cheaply.

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
I used to run a cheap grimeca front disc that was given to me on my hardtail but ditched it for some Avid SD-Ti V's for the saved weight back when I was in my every gram counts stage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.