Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I plan to install a front derailluer and I am unsure if to get a top or bottom swing, I think a a bottom swing i.e. top mounted will be interefered by the curvature of the seat post, so I am presuming I should go for top swing i.e. bottom mounted, the crankset I will be installing is FC-M311 48T triple, so the derailluer FD-M313 / 310 will sit fairly high? Can I have an opinion please, thank you.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,693 Posts
newest side swing for tire clearance
alivio FD-M3100-M are around 40 bucks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey all thanks for the replies the problem is, I have a crappy freewheel hub on an electric rear wheel, so I am very limited with my options, it took me a couple days to design a compatable system starting with the part that I am forced to use

TZ500 Shimano megarange 7 gear 36T freewheel

After spending a day on shimanos compaitabliity chart I came to the conclusion of going with
A 3x7 system

-TZ500 Freewheel cassette
-RD-M310 Rear mech (megarange compat)
-FC-M311 Crankset the only 3x7 compaitable shimano crank
-FD-M313 the only front mech compat with 7x3

I am using these crappy parts not because of budget but because of the NECCESSARY TZ500

So im pretty much stuck with the FD-M313 to ensure good SIS functionality, correct chain sizing etc. I just dont know if I should get top or bottom swing, my seat post has such a curvature that I im not sure if the bottom swing top mount will fit, but also if I get a top seing bottom mount I dont think I can mount it high enough to avoid the upwards movement of the lower swing arm hitting it arghhhhhh.

The largest sprocket on the crankset I want to use is 48T i.e. about 200mm, or 100mm from the centre of the BB axle to the top of the sprocket, what would the distance be between the centre of the BB axle and the mounting band on a FD-M313 when using a 48T Sprocket.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,693 Posts
buy another, with good return policy, check if fits, return if not

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,204 Posts
I'd double check whether a 48/38/28 triple is going to even fit if you haven't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh your right thats the best idea, there is a somewhat compatable part the FD-M3100-M
that is the sideswing version but it prefers a 9spd chain... which defeats the point im trying to accomplish, should I use better front and rear mechs designed for 9spd with a 9spd chain on this 7 speed TZ500, or would it be better to use parts designed for 7spd with a 7spd chain, on thr 7spd rear cassette that im stuck with?

I'd double check whether a 48/38/28 triple is going to even fit if you haven't.
By fit, do you mean not obstruct this?

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,204 Posts
By fit, do you mean not obstruct this?
View attachment 1934973
On the drive side, but that's the idea, yes. If the rings are too large they can contact the chainstay (usually around where I added purple arrows, but anywhere in that area is a no go). You'll want to move the suspension through its travel to make sure it clears everywhere and give a few millimeters since full suspension frames have a little flex and it can rub when riding even if it doesn't on the workstand. Some manufacturers list max chainring size, but not all.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Someone please cue @speedygz. :)
Thanks,
=sParty
You rang? Side swing derailleurs are tops. I just bought another one to replace my 11-42 1x10 drivetrain on my plastic bike. Unfortunately, they're not going to cover the range the OP is looking for. From memory, I " think" the 3x max out at 18t capacity. Personally, I'd be happy to drop a bit off the top end, but I'm not the OP.

Edit - this is what I'd be looking at. Don't mind the 10 speed bit, you can generally use it on lesser speeds on the cassette, but can run into clearance issues if you try and run more. 10t difference between mid-top, & 8t between low-mid

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for the help and advice, I looked at the original factory spec and some pictures of the bike, it was factory with a 44T largest cog on the front, and in pictures it looked extremely close to the chainstay, so I just went with a 42/34/26 with a guard, per speedys advice this will also enable me to use a sideswing FD if the one I have ordered doesnt work, to be honest I am being pretty anal about this since I use it as an electric without peddle assist and will be using the drivetrain like... never. Thanks again all, I have ordered parts and will update on the outcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts