Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2008 Kona Coilair in May, and this is my first full suspension bike and I just have a question about how to adjust the derailleurs properly…

with working on the bike "on the stand" (I don’t really have a stand but I lift the back with one hand crank with the other and shift with my toes) I have all the gears shifting smoothly, with no noise or chain contact in ANY gear.

when I get on the bike and ride it… the rear gears are still shifting smoothly (as expected) and on the large chain ring I have no issues in all 9 rear gears.

when I go to the smaller front cog, I get chain contact on the front derailleur when on the 3 or 4 smallest rear gears, it gets progressively worse from the larger to smaller 4.

this contact was not present when I adjusted the bike on the stand, and I assume its due to the different tension/geometry of the bike and chain when the rear suspension sags the 3/4" or so.

I have tried adjusting the tension adjuster on the shifter for the front derailler when riding, but it isnt really doing anything. (may its maxed out - I don’t know).

does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem or what to try?
I think if I go too much in the other direction it will rub on the higher gears, the clearance appears to be extremely small because the derailleur cage narrows down a little.

I do have "free lifetime adjustments" at my LBS where I purchased the bike, but I feel I should be able to do these things on my own - and would like to.
this was happening when I initially bought the bike and I told them, and they said don’t worry about it for now because the cables will stretch and it will need to be readjusted and just bring it back then. But I havent done that yet (the LBS is somewhat far from my house)

any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
974 Posts
You should not have good shifting in all nine gears when in the large chainring. You don't want to be in the large ring up front and the large cog in the rear. That is called cross-gearing and will break the chain, or derailleur, or bend the hanger.

You should have good shifting in the middle ring with all nine gears. But when you shift to the largest chainring you will get some chain rubbing as you get closer to the larger cassette gears. The same thing will happen in the small chainring as you get closer to the smaller cassette gears. Because you should not be in those gear combos.

So adjust the front derailleur so it shifts good in all nine. Then check the upper and lower chainrings so that the rubbing starts at about the same time, (same number of shifts up and down). usually you won't get rubbing until the last two cassette rings. Then it should work fine. Also make sure the derailleur is straight and not turned in or out. That will also cause rubbing as the chain gets closer.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If it's the same rear deraillieur that you were using when the front ring was there, then it's a long cage. In that case you want to do the adjustment in your big ring. And allow rubbing on the small cassettes on the small ring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it looks pretty long... but honestly i dont know (nor how to tell without measuring it and comparing it to a chart that says this = that)

its one of hte longer ive seen - so maybe we can assume its a long cage

oh, and the rear suspesnion can travel 7.4" with the magic link (if that would influence the cage size they chose at all)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.