Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to revive an old bike to use for getting around campus this fall. My friend somehow ripped the front derailleur off a couple years ago and I need to replace it. The problem is, it's 6-speed and therefore very hard to find parts for it. Can I use any new front derailleur or do i need to find an old one that is 6-speed compatible?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
any

dirtk38 said:
I'm trying to revive an old bike to use for getting around campus this fall. My friend somehow ripped the front derailleur off a couple years ago and I need to replace it. The problem is, it's 6-speed and therefore very hard to find parts for it. Can I use any new front derailleur or do i need to find an old one that is 6-speed compatible?
any front derailleur that fits the seat tube, has the correct cable pull direction (top vs bottom pull) and has a cage curved for the size big ring you're using (standard 46/48 vs compact 42/44 vs road 52) and a long enough curve to the cage to accommodate the number of chainrings (ones for triple cranks are longer and curve lower, vs shorter ones for road bike use), will work fine. number of rear cogs won't matter a'tall. most shops have boxes of old beater derailleurs that would work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification. Theres one more thing I forgot to ask though. This bike has grip-shift, would a new shimano deore derailleur work with those or do I need a new shifter as well? I have some deore lx rapid-fire shifters laying around i could use if needed. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts