Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just set up my new prime frame with parts from my phantom but hit a snag with the front derailleur.

I know, I have a derailleur. Hopefully not for too much longer but need to save to get a 1x set up.

So I'm still running 2x9 using an SLX double and bash crankset. Dropouts are 142. Front mech is E2 Shimano XT.

With the derailleur set up in the granny ring the back edge fouls the swingarm and will leave a gouge if ridden like that. I'm using a hope BB with 1x2.5mm spacer behind the DS cup (same as was on the phantom).

Can anyone offer suggestions? Are the new banshees not designed for 3x cranksets (on a dedicated 2x the granny ring will be further outboard)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, cheers for the suggestion. The problem is that the swing arm gets in the way before the mech shifts over the granny ring. I've put a 1mm spacer in addition to the 2.5 and that seem to have bodged it for now (just, *** paper clearance between the mech and swing arm) . Hopefully it won't have major effects on the cranks.

Edit - wow, I'm not allowed to say ***! British slang for cigarette. A crazy world we live in when swear filters rule the forum. Whatever happened to context?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that the issue is that my double is actually triple spacing (double and bash) while yours is a proper double with the granny and "middle" rings a few mm outboard compared to a triple. A quick test ride down the road confirms that the extra 1mm spacer works and mimics modern double spacing so all is peachy for now (assuming that the crank spindle holds together).

Cheers folks.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Not sure if it was changed, but original design was done for SRAM FDs and did not work with Shimano properly, as you found out. I ran into this problem when I tried running a Shimano FD after initially setting mine up with a SRAM FD, but guessing with nearly everyone going to a 1x setup wasn't addressed in the last re-design.

Not sure how much you're expecting a new 1x drivetrain to cost, but you could go for a 11 spd Shimano for about $200. Sticking to Shimano no need for a new freehub, can just use back your old crankset and run a 30t ring in the middle position. I put the SLX shifter because all reports are that they shift easier than the XT - I have setup several XTs and the shift is definitely hard. Personally sticking to 10spd myself mated if anything to an 11spd RD, super soft and easy shifting, can easily run any of the newer wide range 10spd cassettes, not as finicky to setup, lots cheaper, don't need anything easiser than a 30-42 combo.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.