Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie question: I want to put a XTR front derailleur in an enduro frame that is not clamp/seat post mounted... it's the one that is supposed to be bolted on the frame... how can it be done?? I want to mail order the part but they are all clamped on the seat post collumn.

·
Registered
227 Posts
you want teh E-Type shimano mechs, you just unbolt the bb bracket.

There are a few parts that come with the frames so make sure you have it. There should be bar/bracket about 2" wide with 3 holes. There are spacers that go in 2 of the holes to offset the bracket up or down. You then bolt the derailleur to that bracket.

I bought some random XT e-type and it worked fine (I did have all the Spesh provided parts though). The only thing I had to change was the cable fastener to a regular nut since the head has a thinner profile and clears the frame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ride On said:
DMD specific is what you are after. Also known as a " Direct Mount Derailleur ". Unless it's DMD specific, it won't work on your Enduro.
My frame isn't DMD, it's an older model, see:http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?arc=2006&spid=21643&menuItemId=0
Now I am confused because if you look at the specs it says:

Shimano M-960 XTR, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull

and not M-960E (e-type) or DMD... which seems to imply that it is a regular clamp one.

Any more insights or facts anyone can help????

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 06 S-Works Enduro and I have the M-960 top swing as is listed on the website. You don't use the e-type on the older models. Why do you want the Xtr out of curiosity? If you are running two rings I would just get a Xt .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geerider said:
I have a 06 S-Works Enduro and I have the M-960 top swing as is listed on the website. You don't use the e-type on the older models. Why do you want the Xtr out of curiosity? If you are running two rings I would just get a Xt .
Yeah, definitely the standard clamp. Thanks. As far as the xt vs xtr, I am hoping to successfully convert to a 3 ring xtr crankset.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.