Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front derailleur has been really picky for the last two or three rides. I can adjust it so that it downshifts quickly, but then I have to overshift a considerable amount to upshift. Or I can get it to upshift crisply, but not downshift into my granny gear. The only way I can get it to shift down to granny is to rorate it (clockwise, looking down the seat tube) a hair so it's not parallel to the chainrings.

The bike is about 4 seasons old and this is the original derailleur and cable. It was shifting pretty well until just recently. Would a new cable help? New derailleur? Or just a more qualified wrench looking at it? :)

Thanks,
-Ben

·
Registered
75 Posts
bdbloom said:
My front derailleur has been really picky for the last two or three rides. I can adjust it so that it downshifts quickly, but then I have to overshift a considerable amount to upshift. Or I can get it to upshift crisply, but not downshift into my granny gear. The only way I can get it to shift down to granny is to rorate it (clockwise, looking down the seat tube) a hair so it's not parallel to the chainrings.

The bike is about 4 seasons old and this is the original derailleur and cable. It was shifting pretty well until just recently. Would a new cable help? New derailleur? Or just a more qualified wrench looking at it? :)

Thanks,
-Ben
If you have had your cable for as long as the bike, consider replacing that first. Check your cables and housing to make sure that the cable isnt getting stuck in the housing.

i'm assuming you do know the proper way to adjust a derailleur. first loosen the cable and check the limiter screws!!!!

also failing everything else, remove the derailleur and spray it with some degreaser. let it sit, wash off with soapy water, then lube er up and put it back on.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
what he said

Styles said:
If you have had your cable for as long as the bike, consider replacing that first. Check your cables and housing to make sure that the cable isnt getting stuck in the housing.

i'm assuming you do know the proper way to adjust a derailleur. first loosen the cable and check the limiter screws!!!!

also failing everything else, remove the derailleur and spray it with some degreaser. let it sit, wash off with soapy water, then lube er up and put it back on.
I don't think I've ever actually worn out a front derailleur, though I've retired plenty. I've got a couple of first-gen XTR fronts, circa '91?, on bikes that work as well as the day they were made. And some SunTours on other bikes that were "old" when XTR first came out that shift great.
It's the cable, or the adjustment.
If empirical evidence is required, grab the derailleur cage and see if it wiggles an inordinate amount, which would indicate the pivots are shot. It won't because they're not.

·
Space for rent...
1,012 Posts
Front D

My vote is with the cables too. If they haven't been changed in a while, I would try that first.

You may also want to check the chain rings. If the teeth are hooked or the edges have rolled, this may contribute to them not releasing.

My 2 cents....

STEVE

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. New cable and housing on the way. I know that I needed a new big-ring, so that's on the way, too, but I'll take another peek at the middle and see if it's wearing out. I hadn't thought of that contributing to shifting, mostly chain suck, but you're absolutely right.

Hopefully that's all it takes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts