Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 SB that I just built up and am having a Beyotch of a time setting up the F. Derailleur. The parts involved are; sram rocket shifters, XT f. derail., and Race Face Deus cranks. The main problem is that in the middle chainring the chain either rubs on the extreme large rear cog, or extreme small rear cog. It can be adjusted to rub on only on or the other, but it seems like the middle ring should be able to go through the whole range without rubbing the chain on the Derail.

I did take it to my LBS, who typically do excellent work and they could not get it right either. I am wondering if the chain line needs to be tweaked (can be done with RF deus cranks), or a different derail is needed.

comments? suggestions?

·
Registered
309 Posts
NMmtber said:
I have a 2002 SB that I just built up and am having a Beyotch of a time setting up the F. Derailleur. The parts involved are; sram rocket shifters, XT f. derail., and Race Face Deus cranks. The main problem is that in the middle chainring the chain either rubs on the extreme large rear cog, or extreme small rear cog. It can be adjusted to rub on only on or the other, but it seems like the middle ring should be able to go through the whole range without rubbing the chain on the Derail.

I did take it to my LBS, who typically do excellent work and they could not get it right either. I am wondering if the chain line needs to be tweaked (can be done with RF deus cranks), or a different derail is needed.

comments? suggestions?
I had a similar chainline issue when I built my SB. I am running XT crankset similar to you deus. The instructions say to put the spacer for the BB on the chainring side. This pushed the chainrings too far out and I had a hard time setting up the front deraileur. I moved the spacer the the non-drive side thus bringing the chainrings in a few mm. See if and where you have spacers on the BB. Try moving them around to get a better chainline.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
That shouldn't happen. I've run the same setup with Deus cranks and all the spacers as they should be and there is no rub. Sounds like an alignment problem with the derr. Make absolutely sure the outer plate is perfectly parallel to the rings and there is no more than 1 to 3mm of distance when the outer cage plate is directly over the big ring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you set it up

Hecubus said:
That shouldn't happen. I've run the same setup with Deus cranks and all the spacers as they should be and there is no rub. Sounds like an alignment problem with the derr. Make absolutely sure the outer plate is perfectly parallel to the rings and there is no more than 1 to 3mm of distance when the outer cage plate is directly over the big ring.
How did you set this up? What spacers, if any, did you use, and on which side (drive or non-drive) were they?

This is a new 2005 Shimano XT F. Derail if that makes any difference (the one that is both top and bottom pull, with shims for multiple seat tube sizes).

Any reply is appreciated. I hate chain chatter on my derailleurs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.