Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checking in to see if anyone else has had this issue. I am using XT cassette in the back and an XT front der. with Sram X.0 rear der. I also have a bash guard and no big chainring, so this is all from the middle chainring. When I am in the middle chainring and the 1st cog the chain rattles slightly against the der. On the top end the chain rubs on the other side of the der. in 7,8, and 9. 7 has to be really loaded and 8 is pretty constant and 9 is just plain bad. It seems like the XT der. is not wide enough. We have maxed out the limiting screws. Tried it with and without a spacer. My mechanic says there is really only one shimano der. option on this bike. Anyone have any other hints or tips? I have not heard this mentioned here before? He called Intense and they simply said to try the spacer. It doesn't seem like asking too much to be able to use all the cogs from the middle chainring?

Craig
the Gorge

·
Auto-x addict
281 Posts
spaeth said:
Just checking in to see if anyone else has had this issue. I am using XT cassette in the back and an XT front der. with Sram X.0 rear der. I also have a bash guard and no big chainring, so this is all from the middle chainring. When I am in the middle chainring and the 1st cog the chain rattles slightly against the der. On the top end the chain rubs on the other side of the der. in 7,8, and 9. 7 has to be really loaded and 8 is pretty constant and 9 is just plain bad. It seems like the XT der. is not wide enough. We have maxed out the limiting screws. Tried it with and without a spacer. My mechanic says there is really only one shimano der. option on this bike. Anyone have any other hints or tips? I have not heard this mentioned here before? He called Intense and they simply said to try the spacer. It doesn't seem like asking too much to be able to use all the cogs from the middle chainring?

Craig
the Gorge
A pamphlet was included with my XTR fr der, titled "Service Instructions - SI-FC00C", that reads:
"When the chain is in the position shown in the illustration, the chain may contactthe front chainrings or front derrailleur and generate noise.
If the noise is a problem, shift the chain onto the next largest rear sprocket or the one after."
There is then a diagram depicting the small ring in a two ring setup in front and the 7,8,and 9 cogs in the rear, another depicting the middle ring in a three ring setup in front and 8 and 9 in the rear, and another showing the small ring in front and 7,8, and 9 in the rear.
Apparantly, the Big S doesn't think you should be able to use all the cogs from the middle ring!

That being said, I have no rubs from the middle with the XTR fr der on my 5.5. Go figure.

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
spaeth said:

Craig
the Gorge
What frame do you have?

·
Registered
345 Posts
XTR works for me

I use a XTR front der. it works, but gets very close to the swing arm when I shift to granny what Bottom Bracket do you use Brand and what size.
My chain line is a bit off to the outside. with a race face 113mm

·
Registered
864 Posts
twister shifter

spaeth said:

Craig
the Gorge
I was having the same problem on my tracer with my xtr frt der. Tried everything in the damn book, including the use of spacers to try to align the chain. Nothing worked, so I dumpted my shimana xtr front shifter for a cheap scram twisty rocket shifter which allows for inbetween settings... Works great...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it as simple as cassette width?

I have an XT bottom bracket and cranks. The newer external bearing model. I am not sure about the size though. The more I have thought about this it seems like it really comes down to the reach of the front deraileur compared to the width of the rear cassette. Intense recommended putting a spacer in between the bottom bracket and the front chainrings. This seemed to throw the chain line off and made no difference. We pulled that back out. I can spread the front deraileur and make it work. I loose alot of crispness for shifting between front chainrings doing this. I might try an XTR front deraileur and see if that works. The other weird thing is the chain jumps around and vibrates alot, even just in the stand. It does not jump gears, it just looks nervous. I am using the an XT rear Cassette, XT front chainrings, and XT front deraileur and the chain is the XT version shimano chain (I forget the numbers but it isn't the XTR style). I purposely tried to keep all shimano on the things that contact. I wonder if the Sram chain might be better? It is interesting that Shimano says I shouldn't be able to do this. Maybe I am just trying to do something that shouldn't be done? The idea of a grip shift on one side is interesting. Thanks for all of the tips so far. I am loving this bike. I would just like to get this bug worked out.

thanks
Craig
the Gorge

·
Registered
345 Posts
mine makes noises

mine makes noises like tikking but does not jump, I have a sram. I have a 110 mm race face square taper bb that allows you to adjust chain line, so I adjusted the chai line to be straight on the middle front and 5th rear. now the front der. does not throw the chain on the granny, so I put a kink in the outer guide of the der. to push the chain down about 2mm earlier that the straight der would have now it works fine, sound rough but looks like it came this way. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts