Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a shimano hone crank with 2 rings + bash gaurd. Right now the way my bike is set up I must shift twice to get my front der. to push the chain from my small to big ring, and vice versa. I would like to set my bike up so that I only have to shift from gears 1 to 2, or 2 to 3, to change gears. Right now I go from 1 to 3, and from 3 to 1, and if I put it in 2, nothing really happens, other than some minor chain rub.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sounds like your limits need to be adjusted and cable needs tension. First, release the cable anchor bolt so that the cable is no longer attached to the front derailleur. Now pull on the cable so it is taught and press your cable release on the trigger. This should put the indicator in the low position. Verify that your Front D is at the correct height (1-3mm above the big ring). Adjust your low-limit adjustment screw. Now reattached your cable. Shift to the middle position on the gear indicator. If your derailleur does not put far enough, add cable tension via the barrel adjuster on the shifter. Once you are in the middle ring, set your limit adjuster screw in so that it does not go past the middle ring. You should now be able to shifter from small to middle in just one click.

If this doesn't help you could have a variety of problems including poor chainline, improper BB spindle length/spacing, broken pawl in the shifter, etc...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I have tinkered with my limit screws and retarded the der. into ignoring the location of where the big ring used to be. So now I can switch between my two rings with one click each.

The only problem is it shifts really poorly, if it shifts at all. Depending on which rear cog my chain is in, it may not shift at all. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

thanks in advance

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.