Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 2004 LX 9 sp. front crank. My front der. is a cheepo Acera. No matter
how I adjust it I cannot get it to shift into the granny gear. It seems like the der. cannot
move close enough to the seat tube to drop it on the granny gear. My other bike has the same crank but with a LX 9sp. front der. no problem at all. Is the Acera an 8sp. specific
front der? It shifted fine with my old 8 sp. crank. Assuming that my shell and spindle
legnth are correct. Is it a chainline issue or a front der. issue? I never heard of shimming
an Octalink crank arm. This is the 4th Shimano Octalink crank I installed and the first problem I've had. HELP please!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, alot of older 8sp ders wont work with 9spd cranks, i had the same problem when i upgraded to my raceface cranks from my old shimano 8spds. I went to good ole ebay and picked up a new shimano XT m760 der for $18. Solved the problem and now shifts smoother than ever. you also need to get 9spd shifters, the shift range on the 8spd shifters may not allow it to cycle to all the gears either. Life gets sticky when you start trying to upgrade drivetrain components one part at a time, It caused me all kinds of greif until i just said screw it and got all new 9spd gear. hope this helps you out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.