Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the tracking info on my frame - woo hoo! Was planning to go with bronze, but the white was the only thing available from the first run so I took it. Never had a white bike - should be cool - maybe it'll force me to clean it every now and then!

Need to pick up an XT front der. Saw this thread regarding Spot FD needing to be altered to clear the rear susp. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=474712

Sounds like the Sultan will have the same issue with some FDs.

Anyone know the XT model # that works and clears everything?? They list the SRAM der, but not an XT model number.

·
bike weenie
589 Posts
I think the version of XT you need will have the same issue on the sultan. I hadn't seen these threads, and recently built mine with XTR, and was thinking as I built it I might need to do this mod. Not a biggie - I've actually done this in the past just for aesthetics.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
what, is home depot out of hacksaw blades in yer town? is yer sharpie dried out?

youll have to go back several model years to find a xt thats not dual pull. in the time it takes to find 1, you could have modded 12 current xt's. that said, i much prefer the action of the xtr.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CC - sounds like it's not the dual pull that is the problem - It's the clamp type. High clamp is ok and low clamp needs to be cut.

Just figured if I'm picking one up anyway I could get one that would work without cutting. Definitely not trying to search out some old style fd!

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
negitive ghost rider. all ya get is a top clamp type. the bottom clamps wont fit a turner and never have, e-types, even if they do fit, are flexy pos's and the new braze on/bolt on/whatever on is not yet a option even if it does work which im not yet convinced of.

if ya dont wanna cut it, and im not sure why ya wouldnt, then yer shoppin for old stuff.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,473 Posts
Ab-So-F0ckin-Lutely!!!!

bikesinmud said:
My .02, I know its too late as the first batches are already shipping but I'd like to see this on the next batch of DW bikes. No more futzing, no more cutting, just a clean and simple cable with housing staight to the derrailleur. I'm sure others will think differently. http://www.mtbr.com/TRP_16_415_3crx.aspx
Why the direct housing FD design is not a mtb standard completely baffles me. A ridiculously simple modification that makes a world of sense.

I wouldn't even care if it's a direct frame mount. A clamp would be fine.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I'd personally go with an SLX over an XT. Better shifting. Been there, done that.

If clearance is an issue find a buddy with a bench grinder and grind away. The dual pull lever only takes 30 seconds of grinding/cutting to amputate.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
better swingarm/tire clearance with a SLX

The cage is shorter in length and has more curvature for use with smaller outside rings. Im sporting a SLX 665 high clamp top pull dual swing FD for a 2 x 9. it really works well if your running smaller chainrings like 32 or 30T outside. Every bit worth the $60

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.