Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
It's soil, not dirt!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '01 Specialized S-works M4 that I bought used at a swap meet. It had been built up with a decent selection of random parts, including an XTR bottom pull front derailleur.

It sat unused for a long time and I recently decided to revive it and start riding again. I put some fresh cabes on it and noticed that the original cable was routed outside the little loop at the end of the plastic guide on the bottom braket shell. When I put the new cable in I routed it appropriately and got it all set up and shifting okay and then I noticed that the cable was rubbing on the inside edge of the chainstay where it passes by on its way up to the derailleur.

What gives? I am guessing the derailleur is inappropriate as there does not seem to be any way to avoid this with the current setup. I can't imagine this is the way it was designed.

Does anyone have any ideas? Sorry about the bad verbal description, I will try and post photos if I can figure out how (BTW where are the instructions for picture posting on this forum? I looked and couldn't find any).

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,725 Posts
you need to go "advance" and then select the paper clip ...
then you browse for your picture file, then click "upload".

keep the file to not more than 300kb ... about 600X600 pixels is best for a quick download and viewing without having to scroll from left to right assuming that your monitor resolution is not lower than 1024X768 ...

·
It's soil, not dirt!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I finally got some pictures taken of my issue.

The frame is obviusly set up for a bottom pull derailleur, but the XTR that is on there seems to create too sharp an angle on the cable. It is a top swing unit and it looks as if I try a bottom swing it will interfere with the bottle cage bolts.

I there a top swing, bottom pull derailleur out there that will work for me?

Does anyone have an '01 S-Works hardtail and if so, what is your setup?

IMG_5012.JPG

IMG_5005.JPG

IMG_5014.JPG

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I can't answer your question, but as a temporary fix, try putting a short piece of cable housing on it to protect the chainstay. Zip tie the housing to the chainstay if it moves around.

·
It's soil, not dirt!
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 'size - that does look like it will work, a much more direct line coming up from the bb.

I'll have to see if the lbs has one I can test fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts