Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, just have a quick question I was hoping to get some help with. I am having trouble with shifting my front gears into a higher gear. It works fine when shifting to a smaller gear but when it shifts from a smaller gear to a larger gear it sometimes won't make the shift or will get pinched between the derailleur and the gear. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I've seen stuff about tightening or loosening the cable to the front derailleur but I'm not sure.

The bike is only about 3 weeks old so I shouldn't have much wear and tear on it already. I did have a small bike accident a week ago where somebody ran into my bike and I had to have the cable to the rear derailleur replaced but I wouldn't think that should affect the front derailleur/shifting of the front gears, should it?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
15,139 Posts
Usually the housing and ferrules between the shifter and all the stops get compressed with initial use over a few rides. This has the effect of making the cable work like it has lengthened. Where the cable exits the shifter there is a knob you can turn as if to unscrew it from the shifter. This effectively adds length back in to the housing. But first shift into the smallest front gear to take the tension off the cable. Turn it a half turn and check. Repeat as necessary. There is, of course, a limit. Then you need to adjust the cable at the derailleur. See the video below.
You can also usually head back to where you bought it and ask a service tech to show you the adjustment.
There is also an adjustment to keep the derailleur from pinching the chain. It involves slightly loosening the clamping portion and moving it up the seat tube a small amount-- maybe 1/16th inch.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Front Derailleur Adjustments
9 - Front Derailleur Adjustment - YouTube

Go through this for 20-30 minutes now and you will have learned it for use on the trail. Usually that means you then get to help out someone at the side of the trail. Carry a multitool.

·
Registered
12,416 Posts
Not a big deal, When cables (inner wires) and housings (black guide tubes) are new, over the first few rides, the wires stretch just a little and the housings compress just a little. The effect this ends up having is the shifter isn't pulling the derailleur quite as far as it did when it came new from the shop. The solution is probably to turn out the barrel adjuster on the front shifter a bit to take up the newly created slack, in essence, tighten the cable a bit so the things get moved far enough to affect a shift. Likely wouldn't need more than a couple twists. There are tons of "how to" vids online with better detail.

edit - sorry see eb covered it pretty well already. Anyway, if you run into any issues getting it sorted out, it's new so bring it back to the shop and tell them what's up and they should hook you up. See if they'll let you watch too so you'll know how to do it in the future.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up taking it back to the shop and having them take a look at it. It's doing ok now, but in the future if this acts up again I'll hopefully just be able to tinker with the cables myself and get it to the right tension.

Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.