Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at this frame ... http://www.ninerbikes.com/geometrypageMCR9.html

Either a small or medium, I am 5'8" with a 32.25 inseam.

Looking at the two frame sizes, they have the same front center and chainstay measurements, but different wheelbase sizes. :confused: Is this difference because of the ST and HT angles?

Also, is the ETT difference because of the angles and the shorter HA?...Yes??

Looking at these frames, is there really a difference between them???

I figured I'd ask here. You frame builders should have better insight into geometry.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Ottoreni said:
Looking at the two frame sizes, they have the same front center and chainstay measurements, but different wheelbase sizes. :confused: Is this difference because of the ST and HT angles?
I can't actually see how that's physically possible.

Maybe the Niner guys went to the Gary Fisher School of Geometry?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm..

I still can't figure out how the two frames have the same front center and CS length, but different wheelbases. Then Again I looked at other Niner hardtail frames and it appears that there might be an error on the MCR spec sheet.

Brant, your Scandal 29er, what is the chainstay length on it?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Ottoreni said:
Brant, your Scandal 29er, what is the chainstay length on it?
Thanks
444mm centre to centre. Thank goodness for the 09 Shimano front mechs - as people will stop asking why their tyre buzzes the lever on the back of the old one (you can fix pre-09 ones with a hacksaw to trim off the bits of the mech you don't need).

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
A partial answer

I can't speak to the math not adding up, but the steep seat tube angle/slack head tube angle is a common feature of mass produced "small" 29er frames. The goal is to make the effective toptube number look smaller, while still avoiding toe overlap. Of course, in reality, the "small" often has a wheelbase as long or longer than the "medium", but if your goal is to cram big wheels under tiny people who don't understand bike geometry very well, it's effective.

To be fair, people basically demanded this. The guys at Niner are good folks, they're just doing what the market asked for.

IMO there are very few or no "small" non-custom 29er designs out there that are any good. Once you hit the medium sizes, there's no problem.

-Walt

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
This is what we call "a misprint" Call for the right numbers.

I'm convinced that any small person that convinces themselves to ride 29" wheels knows next to nothing about geometry in the first place. so in the end, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
975 Posts
The only way the wheelbase can be different with the same front centre and chainstay is if there's a massive difference in the BB height/drop - massive enough for the bike to be unrideable. Someone's failed to proofread IMO.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
pvd said:
I'm convinced that any small person that convinces themselves to ride 29" wheels knows next to nothing about geometry in the first place. so in the end, it doesn't matter.
Sounds like a few builders I know.

"5ft tall and want a 29er? Got deposit? Sweeeet."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.