Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what would cause the front pads to vibrate against the rotor and how to remedy?? This isn't a noise like what happens when you engage the brakes and you get that typical brake squeal. This is a noise coming from the front pads vibrating against the rotor when there is no pressure on the front brakes at all. Never seen nor even heard of this. It's somewhat intermittent. And when it starts doing this, I can apply light pressure to the brake lever and of course it goes away because the pads start to engage the rotor. Need to fix this. Anyone got anything?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I recently read about increasing the tension on the thin metal fame that holds the pads in position (can't think of its name???). You do this by bending it a little more. From what you've said the pads don't have nearly enough pressure holding them back against the pistons.

Hopefully this fixes it??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's the first thing I did...spread the backing plates out a little. They looked to have plenty of tension to keep the pads pulled back on the calipers. In retrospect it seemed to help a little...maybe....? lol. I will revisit this again and see really spread them apart this time...can't hurt to try. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Yeah. What pads are you using. I've heard of this when using the Shimano pads with integral finned heatsinks. The added weight of the heatsink overcomes the ability of the spring keep them from rattling. A few guys I know went back to pads without the fins.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. What pads are you using. I've heard of this when using the Shimano pads with integral finned heatsinks. The added weight of the heatsink overcomes the ability of the spring keep them from rattling. A few guys I know went back to pads without the fins.
These are factory Tektro Orion brakes/pads. They do not have the finned heat sinks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.