Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently finished my RIP 9 and after a couple rides have found an issue with the front brake. :confused:

Set up:
Rider at 220 with no gear
09 Reba Team 120mm with Maxle light
Stans Flows 29er laced to Hope Pro 2 20mm
Formula Mega w/ 200 mm wavy rotor up front

On the last ride I noticed a pulsing under front braking. I felt it at first and then was able to see the fork legs pulsing back and forth (front to back at the axle) when applying the front brake. I double checked to make sure there wasn't any play at the headset and the front wheel was on tight. I also made sure the rotor was cleaned with alcohol after I installed the brakes. Rotor was slightly warped and I got it as close as possible using a crescent.

Has any one had issues similar to this? Is this a rotor or pad problem? The rotor shows that the pads slightly contact the support legs of the rotor. Should I shim up the caliper and see if it continues? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
sounds like rotor, but its hard to say. did you try adjusting the caliper? you sure the maxle is tightened properly? Im allmost the exact same size but have xtr brakes and I9 hubs .

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made sure maxle was on tight. When I got back to the house, I made sure the rotor was centered between the pads. I get a tiny bit of rub in one section but didn't think it would cause the pulsing I was getting. Probably gonna mess around with it when I get home from work. Just kinda scary seeing the fork flex like that while braking. Gonna double check rotor and mount just to be sure they're matched properly too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.