Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought the bike into the LBS a few days ago specifically for this and fact that chain keeps slipping off. Picked it up yesterday before a ride, and was told no charge- just had to adjust the rear rotor. Owner of shop said he rode it and it was good to go.

Skeptical, I thanked him and sure enough.........squeak and slippage!! Aarrghh!!

Is break squealing a complicated repair? I suppose it means taking the thing apart, and with hydraulic discs, perhaps it would take too long?

And why is my chain constantly slipping off?? These are minor problems, but they are annoying and the chain keeps slowing me down.

·
Registered
99 Posts
When you say slippage, do you mean that the brakes are not grabbing?

For the squealing, it's probably the pads rubbing on the rotor. Do you have Hayes? You can take off the wheel, take out the brake pads, and push in the pistons with the closed end of a box wrench - or whatever you have handy that'll fit in there, but not anything sharp. Be careful not to chip away at the pistons. And don't push on those posts in the middle of the pistons.

Put the pads back in and the wheel back on. Pump the brake levers a few times. Still rubbing/squealing? Loosen the bolts on the caliper only (bolts that hold the caliper to the frame). Just enough so that the caliper moves semi-freely. Don't loosen any other bolts. A friend loosened the wrong bolts once and had to get the brakes rebled (dummy). Press on the brake lever and hold it. While holding the brake lever down, tighten back up the caliper bolts.

If it still squeals/rubs, you can try unloosening the bolts again, but this time, don't hold down the lever. Spin the wheel slowly and let it spin. Watch your fingers. Move the caliper around until you see it doesn't rub. Try tightening it up at that point. It takes a bit of hand-eye coordination and patience.

If that still doesn't work...uh...mmm...anyone else? Oh, and make sure your rotors are bent.

Last resort is, you'll have to live with it. Sorry.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chain often slips off as I shift, even though I don't usually shift while going uphill.

The brake is awfully loud and annoying. As long as it's fixed before the VT50 I'll be happy. Otherwise it'll make me insane!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
If your front rotor is not warped than adjust your brakes as dirtmercant suggested, that will solve the problem. A set of allen keys and a little patience and your set.
Your chain is falling off because something is not adjusted right. Of course is works right at the LBS, they are checking it while it is on a workstand not on the trail.

Good luck

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Is the brake squealing when no brakes are applied, or is it only making noise when the brakes are applied?

If the squealing is happening when the brakes are not applied, it is likely a caliper adjustment as stated by others.

If it is only squealing when the brakes are applied it is likely that your brake pads have been contaminated with something... like oil. This may also explain the slipping. If this is the case, I've heard of people boiling their brake pads in water to get the oil out. Tried it myself on some Hayes pads and it didn't cure the problem for me. Hayes disc pads (at least the older ones) seem to be more prone to squealing. I've never had problems with my Avids. If the pads are comtaminated and you can't get them clean, then the alternative is replacing them, which is not a cheap option.

Sometimes sqealing can also be caused by loose bolts on the rotors and brake calipers(according to Hayes), which can set up harmonic vibrations. Make sure fasteners are tight.

Good Luck.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
Christine said:
The chain often slips off as I shift, even though I don't usually shift while going uphill.

The brake is awfully loud and annoying. As long as it's fixed before the VT50 I'll be happy. Otherwise it'll make me insane!!
My bike has just started to shift off the big cog into the wheel. I think I'm going to get a new chain.

You have to look at your cassette and chain see how much wear you can see, if any.

As far as brake squeal, have you had the fork faced for discs? Any good LBS should be able to do that for, creating a "flat" surface for the caliper to attach to. My Hayes have always had a bit of squeak in them, I've just learned to live with it. It's infrequent and not so loud though. If it was loud, I suppose I'd be inclined to rant!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.