Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a used Diamond Back Ascent. The Shimano Exage LX derailleurs put the vintage at about 1991 so almost 30 years old. The bike is in good shape and appeared to be well well maintained and setup. Not much I need to do to the bike.

Before I end up loosening and changing the adjustment of the tightness of the front axle to check the bearings, does anyone know whether the hub bearing is a cartridge (in which case I'll just leave it as is) or is ball bearings (in which case I'll disassemble to clean and regrease)? Visually I can't tell if the bearing is a cartridge or if I'm looking at a dust cap. It's been decades since I did any maintenance on bikes and bikes have evolved.

I'm just going to use the bike for recreational rides with friends on urban bike routes, mostly paved, some gravel paths. It's a vintage bike but the geometry fits me nicely and it rides nicely.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
that's just a rubber seal that keeps grime out of the grease and grease in the hub. it's probably very dried out in there by now if it has not been serviced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks. I think it's dry in the hub, I can hear the ball bearings hitting each other as I turn the axle, so likely no grease left inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts