Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Monday I had my front wheel off in order to transport my bike to the LBS, when I got it home again and put the front wheel back on, I noticed that my front rotor is now rubbing. It was not before it went into the LBS (I know they did nothing, I was in and out in less than 10 minutes) so figure it must be something happened when taking the wheel off/putting it back on.

When riding it looks as though the wheel is not true, but when I flipped my bike over and looked it looks fine. I have not yet had much time to look over things, but is there something I could have done when replacing the wheel that knocked something out of alignment? The bike was transported laying down in the back of my car.Front wheel was resting on top of the frame.

It also does not look to me as though the rotor itself is warped. Could I have possibly moved the caliper some when putting my bike in and out of the car? Any pointers on where to look first? It literally feels as though half the rotor surface rubs when the wheel is turning. I could do with an excuse to upgrade to BB7's, but for now I don't need one!! Oh, and is there a quick way to check the pads for wear other than pulling them out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Although warped rotors and misaligned calipers are a possibility, the first thing to check is that the wheel is firmly and completely seated in the dropouts. I've used this method since I had a similar problem with my BB5s. See if it helps you:

1. Put the bike on the ground and stand over it with your body between the bars and the seat.
2. Make sure your suspension isn't locked out.
3. Reach down and loosen the QR and back the nut off of the wheel in question. It doesn't have to fall out but it should be pretty loose.
4. In your case, lean forward and put most of your body weight on the bars while you reach down and retighten the nut and then the QR.

Good luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I kind of suspect (and hope) that it is as simple as the wheel not being seated completely. The front end does feel different while riding, but that could be from the rotor rubbing.

Will check the wheel when I get home from work today.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine do a similar thing as well, on my brand new rockhopper. If I remove the wheel and the re-install, I get the slightest of rubbing. I can then make some quick adjustments to get the noise to go away.

One time, I was even able to get the noise to go away by tightening the nut, then loosening the QR to compensate. Then tighten the nut a tad more, then loosen the QR a bit more. I was actually able to do this until I found a spot where the noise went away. Weird.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe its a Rockhopper problem! I also have a Rockhopper that is only about 3-4 months old now. I tried re-seating the front wheel following the steps above. But it is still rubbing, I checked and really cannot see any bends in either the rotor or the wheel.

What should I check next? its really annoying that when I brake I feel the brakes pulsing almost as the rotor turns and the brakes grab much harder where it rubs, vs where it does not rub.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone? short of taking the wheel off to return to the LBS (which at this point I would prefer not to do) or taking off caliper/pads and re-installing I am not sure what to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts