Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who bought a 8" avid for the front and a 6" promax for the rear. He bought a front promax because thats all pricepoint had. We both figured theyd be the same. But it doestn seem to be working. I havent talked to him yet.

So are front and rear calipers different.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
summitlt said:
I have a friend who bought a 8" avid for the front and a 6" promax for the rear. He bought a front promax because thats all pricepoint had. We both figured theyd be the same. But it doestn seem to be working. I havent talked to him yet.

The spacing is different. Your bud's avid is postmount. The caliper will be the same, front and rear, but the post-mount to IS adaptor is different. I'm not sure if promax is postmount or IS, but if it's IS he might be screwed as you can't simply get a new adaptor like you can the avids.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
summitlt said:

You both assumed incorrectly. While IS mounts are both 51mm front and rear, the spacing for the rotors is different. Rear caliper need about 20mm smaller rotor. The front promax caliper will work on the rear but only with a 140mm rotor.

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, it doesnt fit, but he did get it to "work" by moving his tire around in the dropouts. Hes gonna go with avids in the rear later. But for now, is there a way that we could kinda lift the rear of the caliper to get it to work right? Lik make a spacer?

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
summitlt said:
Ok, it doesnt fit, but he did get it to "work" by moving his tire around in the dropouts. Hes gonna go with avids in the rear later. But for now, is there a way that we could kinda lift the rear of the caliper to get it to work right? Lik make a spacer?
You might try an +20mm IS to IS adapter. The AD-486 adapter should work...

http://www.discbrakeadapters.com/fs_show_item_details.php?item_id=2

·
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestion, but the adaptor costs almost as much as the brake did, but thats somethign that looks like I can make. Any more pictures of those?

·
Gravity Rides Everything
1,126 Posts
summitlt said:
moving the tire around in the dropouts=bad bad idea.... his damn wheel might fall off. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts