Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only riidden a specialized M2 Comp hardtail (8+ years)...and I'm now looking at a new FS bike. I'm deciding between the epic and the blur. I'm just barely under 6', and when test riding a large blur with setpack seatpost and a 120mm stem (and saddle all the way back), I feel really forward over the bars on descents. It feels cramped. I really like the idea of the blur, but think an XL would be too big.

My question is: is this just somehing to get used to, coming from a long top tube like the M2, or are many blur riders around 6' split between a L and a XL?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Go Large

rufas said:
My question is: is this just somehing to get used to, coming from a long top tube like the M2, or are many blur riders around 6' split between a L and a XL?

Thanks.
Get the Large. I'm 6'0''. Went from a M2 Pro to a L Blur. I'm glad w/ the decision I made. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TheSherpa said:
Whats your inseem?

-TS
sorry if this posted twice...
inseem is 33.5...height is 5 7/8, w/o shoes...

i have to admit that after the blur i test rode the s-works epic, and it naturally felt more comfortable...don't know if I can get used to the shorter blur (a 3,000k question) actually, when we werre doing the fit, the distance from the saddle to the bars was almost identical on both bikes. the difference was that the blurs saddle was 2.5" further back in relation to the BB...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
rufas said:
I've only riidden a specialized M2 Comp hardtail (8+ years)...and I'm now looking at a new FS bike. I'm deciding between the epic and the blur. I'm just barely under 6', and when test riding a large blur with setpack seatpost and a 120mm stem (and saddle all the way back), I feel really forward over the bars on descents. It feels cramped. I really like the idea of the blur, but think an XL would be too big.

Thanks.
I think XL would be too big for you. I'm 6'2" and have an XL with 110 stem and setback post with seat almost all the way forward. This feels perfect for me, but I don't think anyone shorter than me could really be comfortable on that bike unless they had a really long torso. My inseam is 34".

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
DO NOT get the XL. XL Blur is going to be too big not to mention the gianormous 6" headtube. If you were riding a 19" Stumpy before, the large Blur is going to be most comparable size wise. Geometry has changed though. Longer travel forks and shorter stems put you in a more relaxed position than the older bikes leaned over 135+mm stem. I'm about the same height as you, rode a 19" Stumpy then S-Works for several years. Moved on to a large Superlight for couple years (similar geometry to the Blur) and had no prolems with a straight post and a 120mm stem. I have a buddy who's about 6' 2" who rode the same 19" Stumpjumper then went to a Large Blur with a 130mm stem. It was too small for him. When the seattube cracked he had SC replace it with a XL. With the XL and a 120 stem, now he's much happier. I thought his large Blur rode really high and the XL is even taller. My advice would be to try the Large Blur with a 120mm stem and a straight post. If that doesn't work for you, look at some other brands. In that vein, I would highly recommend looking at the Stumpjumper FSR over the Epic and maybe checking out the deals on the Turner Burner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts