Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title pretty much sums it up. Im stoked that I may be moving to NC from SoCal next year, NC looks buetiful. What cities are close to good riding? Im used to riding the Santa Ana Mtns, pretty steep, rocky and technical, I know there will be differences, what is the NC terrain like? Are there any sites w/vids of NC?

Also, is there good surf in NC? Dont surf as near as much as mtb, but it would be nice.

Thnaks for any help
wayne

·
CNC Dude
97 Posts
It's going to be a 5-7 hr trip from good MTB'ing to good surfing in NC. Hatteras/Nags Head is the surfing spot, but anything west of Charlotte for good riding. Depends, I guess, on what you need to do for a living...most of the high-tech is going to be in Raleigh/Durham, the banking in Greensboro, manufacturing in Charlotte, and all the table-waiting is in Asheville ;) !

Good luck!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
The best riding is at the Western end of the state. The ocean is at the Eastern end of the state. I think you must chose between your two sports. The best riding is around Asheville. I've never ridden around SOCAL but I expect that Pisgah would be:

Wetter It can rain hard for a few minutes every day for months kind of like a rain forest. It's steamy humid and looks like a jungle.
Has more trees so more roots to go with the rocks.
Less sand and more mud.
No cactus so no thorns
lower elevations but plenty steep and technical.
More southern soul food and less mexican.
Colder but never to cold to go riding.
Cooler in the summer but more humid.
Much more bluegrass music
Less ethnic diversity (mostly white hippies and white baptists)
More retired elderly

·
Southern Fried mUni
1,126 Posts
Depends on where you need to be to make a living......if you can make a living in the mtns then that is where you want to be. Best bet for finding professional work in the mtns would be living near Asheville or Boone. If you need a bigger job market than what those two towns provide and still want a lot of riding choices then I'd say check out Charlotte. Charlotte probably has about the best mtn biking in NC out of the mtns, has plenty of trails (10+) within a 45 minute drive, and you are still just a few hours away from all that good mtn riding. But like I said.....if you can get away with living up in them thar hills then that's the place to be.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys

Im tring to get work w/GE or other engineering firm and my wife will transfer her Kaiser job which would put us near Raliegh, I think. Getting confused w/the cities as were looking at several states.

Wayne

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the link

wayne

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
wayneosdias said:
Thanks Guys

Im tring to get work w/GE or other engineering firm and my wife will transfer her Kaiser job which would put us near Raliegh, I think. Getting confused w/the cities as were looking at several states.

Wayne
Makes sense, there is a lot of high tech and engineering in the Raleigh Area, and specifically in RTP.

The Raleigh Area (the Triangle) has a LOT going on with the mtb scene. Check out www.trianglemtb.com.

We're about 4 hours from Pisgah, we have something near 100 miles of singletrack within a 45 minute drive of Raliegh and more on the way. We're also two hours or less from Wrightsville Beach. I'm not a surfer, but as others said, "it ain't CA", but people do indeed surf there. (It gets better when we get hurricanes:D )

Good luck with whatever you decide. One thing is for sure, the best riding is near Asheville. It's fully worth the 4 hour drive from Raleigh.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bmateo said:
Makes sense, there is a lot of high tech and engineering in the Raleigh Area, and specifically in RTP.

The Raleigh Area (the Triangle) has a LOT going on with the mtb scene. Check out www.trianglemtb.com.

We're about 4 hours from Pisgah, we have something near 100 miles of singletrack within a 45 minute drive of Raliegh and more on the way. We're also two hours or less from Wrightsville Beach. I'm not a surfer, but as others said, "it ain't CA", but people do indeed surf there. (It gets better when we get hurricanes:D )

Good luck with whatever you decide. One thing is for sure, the best riding is near Asheville. It's fully worth the 4 hour drive from Raleigh.
Hey thanks for the link, looks cool. As far as the surf, looks pretty small, soft shouldered and not too bowley, which isnt ideal, but better than nothing.

The primary reason for moving is to start a family. My wife and I both being raised here in Socal wanna avoid raising kids in such a superficial envirenment. That and the cost of housing is 64% cheaper :D, which will buy a alot of surf trips to Costa Rica.

Is there an area of Raleigh you would recommend to young families; suburb w/good schools near the city? Were going to take an exploratory trip around the end of summer.

Thanks Again
Wayne

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Wayne,
Housing in Raleigh isn't very cheap, but compared to where you are living now you shouldn't have a problem finding suitable living conditions affordably. The great thing about that area is Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are all within' 30 minutes of each other. Well paying jobs are plentiful, and there is alot of stuff to do. I have a friend that lives in Raleigh and works as a Micro-Biologist that is from this area and he loves it there. You will be within 4 hours of good surfing, for east coast standards, and four hours away from Pisgah. Good luck in your quest.

Marshall

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mb3designs said:
Wayne,
Housing in Raleigh isn't very cheap, but compared to where you are living now you shouldn't have a problem finding suitable living conditions affordably. The great thing about that area is Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are all within' 30 minutes of each other. Well paying jobs are plentiful, and there is alot of stuff to do. I have a friend that lives in Raleigh and works as a Micro-Biologist that is from this area and he loves it there. You will be within 4 hours of good surfing, for east coast standards, and four hours away from Pisgah. Good luck in your quest.
Marshall
Thanks, could you recommend an suburb area? My wife is a physical therapist and wants to keep her affiliation to Kaiser for the benefits and retirement. Im coming out of PT and going into engineering.

After selling our condo we should be in real good shape. To give you an idea of cost around here, we have a 900sqft condo that we got about 5 years ago for 140k, today the same condo is selling for 340k. Average home value in our area is 750k, way beyond rediculous.

The one bummer about moving is epic surfing is a 10 min bike ride away, sweet mtb is 15 min drive away (5 diff trails) and fair snow boarding is 2hr drive. Being in my thirties now I only surf and board when my buddies raleigh up every month or so, mtbing is my weekly staple so the move whouldnt be too painful. Actually my wife and I are pretty excited to get out of Socal, time for a change ya know?

wayne

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I will talk to my friend and ask him if there are any neighborhoods or subdivisions that he would consider suitable. Don't know how much informative advice he will be able to give regarding housing due to the fact that he lives in a townhome. I'll see what I can find out, maybe at least he can suggest a certain area of town that would be condusive for family living.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dont sweat it, or go out of your way. Like I said, were going to take a trip in a few months out that way just to drive around and see whats what. Everybody here as put to rest my concerns of not being able to get some good mtbing.

thanks
wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts
bike/surf

I live in Raleigh and both bike and surf, also windsurf. We have some decent surf, especially in Hatteras. Route 64 is almost 4 lane all the way, so it's about 3 hrs. To some of my favorite Mt. trails it's 3.5 hrs, so we're almost central to both addictions.
When ya get here drop me a note for directions to good local trails, mt. trails and surf spots.:thumbsup:
Steve 7413 Six Forks Rd. #225, Raleigh NC 27615.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fist said:
When ya get here drop me a note for directions to good local trails, mt. trails and surf spots.:thumbsup:
Steve 7413 Six Forks Rd. #225, Raleigh NC 27615.
sweet, will do.

wayne

·
Registered
931 Posts
I'm from Encinitas, temporarily trapped in Eastern NC on a 3 year military assignment.

Forget surf. I brought my board and haven't used it since I got here in Sept 2005. If you're used to SoCal surf, the east coast is pretty pathetic unless you hit it during a hurricane swell, and even then you've got to time the tide and time of day, etc.

MTBing is a different story. The Asheville area is f-ing incredible, just way more fun than SoCal. Great trails, beautiful scenery, it's amazing. SoCal has some great riding, but nothing like Western NC.

I'm hoping to be able to settle in Asheville when I'm done here, but Encinitas is a pretty nice place too.

Good luck…RC

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
2xPneu said:
I'm from Encinitas, temporarily trapped in Eastern NC on a 3 year military assignment.

Forget surf. I brought my board and haven't used it since I got here in Sept 2005. If you're used to SoCal surf, the east coast is pretty pathetic unless you hit it during a hurricane swell, and even then you've got to time the tide and time of day, etc.

MTBing is a different story. The Asheville area is f-ing incredible, just way more fun than SoCal. Great trails, beautiful scenery, it's amazing. SoCal has some great riding, but nothing like Western NC.

I'm hoping to be able to settle in Asheville when I'm done here, but Encinitas is a pretty nice place too.

Good luck…RC
Hey RC Thanks

haha, fellow socal semi pro in stuck in NC huh? Cool, Ecinitas is very nice, as is most of the coast south of Salt n Creek. I have buddies that live off Luecadia and others San Clemente and Del Mar. I wish I could afford something down there, I grew up in HB.

Thanks for serving
wayne

·
Auto-x addict
'04 Intense 5.5. Still going strong!
282 Posts
Transplanted Angelean here, now in CLT.

Forget surf, forget boarding. Nothing here holds a candle to SoCal.

All the good MTBing is the Triad and west. Charlotte has quite a few nice trail systems, but I miss being 20 mins. away from long climbs followed by monster descents.

Pisgah has GREAT trails! Too bad I can't make any money there.:mad:

As far as raising a family here goes, I've met some wonderful people here, and I've also met some of the most ignorant, rascist pricks here. I was surprised that CLT has worse crime than LA.:eek:

We're happy here, but as soon as we win the Powerball, we're going back to LA. (we'll keep a summer home in Asheville, though.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
a few more thoughts.....

Just remember 4 hours to each becomes a barrier to doing the activity, esp with kids ect. Everything above is dead on; Raleigh was a nice place to live but I moved to asheville years ago from there because it is right i hte middle of the mountains. I was going to move to the coast but as they said above, surf is not something to move there for and its hotter than...:madmax:

think about Greenville, sc also; the best is just tour the area in the summer and see what you think. good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.