Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thought id share, today i was feelin like puttin in some miles to kick off mileage month. so i decided to go up north rim to btrail, then ride east on the road till it ended and im like hmm so i saw a creek crossin .... took off my shoes and carried the bike across .... water only came up to a little above my knees and im 6' 6" :eekster: anyways once i got out the cold i rode ten mile house road or something like that all the way up to 32. Then i figured id ride Humboldt trail, so i rode along the top on the dirt roads next to the highway and ran into a butte county sheriff ... hella nice guy he showed me where the trail was, and we got to talking and hes my business finance teachers neighbor so that was cool.

Went down humboldt to guardian, and then decided i might as well give it a shot, so i rode bloddy pin down to south rim! .... man i was startin to get tired and walked almost all of that climb out of the canyon to the top of south rim .... then i found out why chad crashed on a couple of technical sections near the end .... those are a lot easier on a dh bike with 8" travel than a xc bike ... but i made it down ... and then headed home

ill take the camera if my dumbass attempts this again anytime soon, it was way fun but i have a feeling its gonna rain eventually and the creek will get higher.

I have no idea what the elevation gains were, but as far as miles go if i were to guess, it had to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 - 15 cause i rode this from my house, and thats probably 3 miles each way from 5 mile dam where north rim trail starts.

·
rider
2,356 Posts
That is a solid ride. More like 20+ miles as I'm 5 miles from Five Mile and I rack up about 25-26 miles when I do something very close to your ride. Respectable amount of climbing as well.

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well today i did it again, but with not as many miles as yesterday

from my house to north rim, btrail, across the creek, up ten mile horse, west on 32 for a little bit, down pine, to guardian, then guardian to south rim. Crahsed really bad at this one section cause the front rim slid down right in a dip ..... my left knee hurts now haha .... but it was fun. I wore shorter shorts this time so the creek crossing was a little easier but i still got really really cold ... getting to the other side and hoisting the bike over that log while youre freezing takes some serious energy to not drop the bike.

I also accidently turned right on south rim at this one point so i ended up in the middle of the damn golf course!

Imma take my bike over to sports ltd today so they can tune it up ... the rear brake is dragging, the front brake could stand to have a closer pull, and either my bb or rear cassete is creaking when im peadling with a little power. Hopefully it doesnt cost me too much to have em do a little bit of work, but i want the bike to be in top shape for the palm desert ride a couple of weekends from now.

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh and im in the best shape ever. I moved to chico on jan 12, and before i came here i was riding maybe one day a week, and drinking the other 4 because friends knew i was leaving town so people kept inviting me out. Plus i worked close to 40 hrs a week

Now that im here im riding 7 days a week, with 5 of those days being serious, and 2 just riding the bmx trail next to the creek from school and back cause i get home too late to ride mondays and wednesdays. Im drinking maybe 2 a week, and im down to 186 lbs! I was 205 before i left napa!

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my bad i went down to the bay area friday and saturday with the now ex girlfriend ... worst weekend ever .... whatever it was fun for the 2 weeks it lasted.

Still ridin tommorow at cool with the oroville boys ..... my trek is still over at sports ltd hopefully i get it back tommorow afternoon ... imma bring out the singlespeed to cool. Which reminds me i gotta go get a 15 mm for the pedals cause i broke mine haha.

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
That's pretty much the old "Bidwell Bump" course. Experts and Beginners all do the same loop. It's not as far as you'd think, but it'll take it out of ya for sure. It's changed a little along South Rim near the finish because of the developing houses.

One year a guy won using a cyclecross bike, and flatted both tires, so he ran it from the creek crossing to the finish.

I'm trying to remember the new course record. I think it was set again last fall...

I remember having to sweep the course after the race and finding cool tools, bike parts, bonked beginners going into shock, and i even helped a guy find his teeth (couldn't find one of them).

-B

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lmao his teeth!

sad to hear you arent coming to palm springs this year.

·
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just figured id update this ..... the creek is still crossable after the rains, but is up to my knees and im 6' 6"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.