Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
just ride
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question.

I have a '09 Scott Genius 50 and it had 80mm stem with mid rise bar (I think that's what they call it). It has incredible climbing efficiency that I love but I also want to have the bike feel closer to AM when descending so I bought a 60mm stem with mt zoom low rise bar. After the conversion, I noticed that the handlebar is about 1" lower than my stock bar thus making it feel a little more like an xc posture when climbing but when my adj seat is all the way down, the bike feels much more like a real trail/am bike due to the shorter stem. My question is, will the bike maintain its efficiency now that thebar is lower or is it better than before? Please advice.

Thanks!

Oh btw, I just installed it and will test tomorrow or Sunday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am definitely interested to hear how it goes for you, as I ride an 09 Genius 40 and just bought some PRO Vanderham bars (745mm) and I am considering putting a 60mm stem on if the bike feels too stretched out with the new bars. However I am currently running my stem with only 5mm stack at the moment, so I have room to raise them up.

·
just ride
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Distance: 2.3 mile uphill
Pace time w/ 80mm: 26-30 mins

With 60mm/low rise bar time: 25 mins first time & 27 mins 2nd time

The time result with the 60mm stem/low rise bar were identical as the 80mm/mid rise bar. I also didn't notice any difference in efficinecy. The only thing I noticed was that I didn't have pain on my lower back which normally shows up halfway thru the climb. Today, I went up & down this hill twice with zero back pain! I thought now that my bar was lower, it'll make it worst for my back but that wasn't the case. I guessing its because now with the 60mm, my back/arms are not too stretched.

·
just ride
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On Sunday, we did a 24 mile loop up and down at Steven's Canyon in Cupertino, Ca. My knee never hurted before but on this day, it hurted even after trying to shift my sitting position. Today, I did 19 miles and same story... I didnt do anything to the bike but those two things, 60mm stem and low rise bar. Could this be the reason why my knee is now hurting?

Here's my bike:

·
just ride
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A week before I swithced to this 60mm stem/low rise bar, I was training myself to ride up the hill standing up and also not to use 22T in the front but instead use 32T front. Now I'm confused on why my knee is hurting. From the higher gear or the stem? So, last night I moved my saddle back (from 1.5 to 3) and now my knee is not lined up to the pedal axle. It sits behind the axle. Also used lower gear and after exactly 1 hour and 6 mins of climbing, my knee started to hurt and it was worse than before! I struggled riding back home on a flat paved...

Right when I got home, I switched back my 80mm stem but kept the bar. Then I positioned my saddle the right way (knee and axle lined up). I have a steep climb this Sunday and I've never been there before. I hope this fixes my knee pain that I've never had before prior to swithing to this 60mm stem. We will find out on Sunday and I'll give an update here.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If your knee hurting I'd lay off the high gear. I've been in various positions on my bike and never have I'd had knee pain from one. I have gotten it from hammering up climbs though..

·
Threading freely...
325 Posts
According to gurus like Lee McCormack, when you go with a shorter stem you should go HIGHER, not lower. Seems that may be one issue you are having, as you said it's now one-inch lower.

About knee pain, I use my granny all the time not because I lack the strength, but because I see no reason to strain my knees. The easier the pedaling, the less wear and tear on your joints. I plan on riding in my old age (am already older at 40), so I use my granny as much as possible. My neighbor was an insanely avid biker who rode from coast to coast and hated gears, rarely shifted, and ofter use a SS, pulling and pushing like crazy on his pedals. He is in his early fifties now, walking with a cane & severely incapacitated, both his knees completely shot. I don't want to end up like that.

·
just ride
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys are right. Im going to go back and use granny. It is there for a reason and I also do not want to end up like your neighbor. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts