Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about going to an 8" disc on the front of my VT-2 for a few months.

Are there 'kits' available to do this, or, what would I need to do this conversion, and where can I buy it?

The current brakes on the bike are standard Hayes nines.

Thanks..

R.

·
Registered
238 Posts
what you need is ...

A new rotor and a caliper adapter... probably cost $60 total. Hope, EBC etc make both, not sure about Hayes. Watch out for warranty issues on your fork. Other than that, brilliant. Apparently, the math determines it gives you about 40% extra stopping power, which seems loads but it simply turns good brakes into brilliant brakes and, despite what some people say, its not over-kill for XC/trail unless you're racing.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Definitely 8 inches...

Rainman said:
Thanks for the info.. I'll chase it up. :)

R.
Been a big proponent of 8 inch front rotors since way back when I had a Marzocchi Z1 alloy in 98. Hayes used to make a adapter for the fork's funky tab spacing but only had an 8 inch rotor option - no 6 inch AT ALL. I was really pissed at first. Then after riding a season, I converted all of my bikes to 8 inch font and 6 inch rear, and have done so ever since. Never had a problem with QR's or disc tab failures on various brands of forks but I mostly stick with Marzocchi and White Bros.

Check out Universalcycles.com for cheap Avid adapters. They run about $9. And don't worry they'll work with Hayes systems. I have a mix of Avid and Hayes adapters on my bikes, no problems. Hayes 8 inch adapters for QR forks are REALLY hard to find or are expensive.

REEK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.