Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Stock bronson BB height is 13.6". Blur LT was 13.8", Blur TRc (which was promoted as being low) is 13.1"Putting 26" wheels on a Bronson would get you an approximate 13.1bb but being a longer travel bike with more sag that a TRc. I'd think you be hard pressed to not smack pedals in anything but buff singletrack. At least riding in my area wouldn't work too well.

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
Stock bronson BB height is 13.6". Blur LT was 13.8", Blur TRc (which was promoted as being low) is 13.1"Putting 26" wheels on a Bronson would get you an approximate 13.1bb but being a longer travel bike with more sag that a TRc. I'd think you be hard pressed to not smack pedals in anything but buff singletrack. At least riding in my area wouldn't work too well.
Well, there you go.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As to the reason "WHY?" just pick any of the following:

- I found a good deal on a 27.5 frame but I do not have the founds for anything else.
- I like SC bikes but they do not make any longer 140-160 26" bikes. The past models and the Nomad have outdated geo which doesn't fit me. I like longer TT but I do not want to get married with a taller ST as well.
- I just do not like 27.5
- This is the TRC advocacy club. You put 27.5 on our bikes, we will put 26 on yours :)

Regarding the 13.1 BB is not that bad at all. The stump jumper rides like a train at this height. If you are used to keep the pedals parallel to the ground when necessary, then its a gain not a loss.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You could do it, but I'm also in the "WHY?" club. Have you actually ridden 650B wheels to come to your conclusion, or is this a PBesq type decision based on what you've read? If it were me and I had the choice between 26" and 650B, 650B any day. As to the BB height, I guess if you only go down, then riding with level pedals is not an isue, but if you happen to actually like to pedal your bike, on rough/tech terrain, then it becomes an issue and if you actually climb that sort of stuff, even more so pronounced.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I've tried one. But after 20yrs riding a 26" my DNA has been steeped to this. It's not easy to be a fair judge from one day to another.
It's all down to personal preference and the following describes how I see it: what do you prefer to ride a sportster or a grand turismo car?

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
As to the reason "WHY?" just pick any of the following:

- I found a good deal on a 27.5 frame but I do not have the founds for anything else.
- I like SC bikes but they do not make any longer 140-160 26" bikes. The past models and the Nomad have outdated geo which doesn't fit me. I like longer TT but I do not want to get married with a taller ST as well.
- I just do not like 27.5
- This is the TRC advocacy club. You put 27.5 on our bikes, we will put 26 on yours :)

Regarding the 13.1 BB is not that bad at all. The stump jumper rides like a train at this height. If you are used to keep the pedals parallel to the ground when necessary, then its a gain not a loss.
Easy now....my why was just that, and you've answered above. You could certainly run them and be fine with your decision. Depending what terrain you ride pedal strikes could be at a minimum and the bike will carve the turns even better. Plus you can run the biggest and beefiest tires without any clearance problems...

·
Registered
567 Posts
I remember there was a photo of Bronson with 26" wheels (in Bronson photo thread). I wouldn't do it, but it didn't look akward. You could compensate for the low BB by adding a 10-20mm longer fork or one with long axle-to-crown length?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.