Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 karate monkey and I'm having some wheels built with an 11x46 cassette and will also be switching to a Shimano XT 11 speed shifter and rear derailleur. My bike currently has 11x42 with a SRAM NX rear derailleur. My question is when I switch to the 46 tooth do I need to add a longer chain? In the past when I switched over chains it used to be you would measure up your largest chainrings and add 2 Links, does that still apply for 11 speed stuff? I ask because 11 speed is new to me. And not to complicate my question but I was doing some research and saw that one person had suggested if you're using a 1x11 speed with a SRAM derailleur you're supposed to add 4 links to your chain . Not really sure why a SRAM rear derailleur would make any difference.

·
Registered
907 Posts
one person had suggested if you're using a 1x11 speed with a SRAM derailleur you're supposed to add 4 links to your chain . Not really sure why a SRAM rear derailleur would make any difference.
It doesn't matter if you have Shimano, or Sram, or whatever.
If you use a bigger cassette than you need more chain links.

I have a Sram NX 11sp with a Sunrace 11-46 cassette.
The NX handles the 46 like it's nothing, but I had to add some chain links.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.