Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Columbus, GA
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get my bike down (it was hanging up) and I found this little guy perched on the hub.

I don't know how the heck he got up there, but he did.

Back into a more natural habitat...

Just thought I would share.

·
Columbus, GA
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right. Like the habitat he used to have before it was covered by a housing development?
You think frogs live for 20 years? Wow. Someone's crazy. :skep:

And why would it matter? It was its own choice to rest on my bike's hub. It's quite apparent he doesn't care that we, like normal humans, reside in a house and, in fact, he is probably quite content.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
On the flip-side, my bike does not like frogs! The last two trail rides I've done at dusk each included more than one frog/wheel interaction and it make me feel bad enough to stop riding around that time for now

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My point was that the frog has not evolved to deal with the dangers introduced to its habitat by human activity. I'm glad the OP was careful, and let the animal go, but I abhor the domineering attitude many mountain bikers hold toward nature. We should be attempting to minimize the impacts of our activities, not consider "lucky" those creatures we somehow manage not to kill...

·
Columbus, GA
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think there's a word that describes the unintended killing of organisms (just walking around and stepping on ants, etc.), though I can't remember what it is. You have to remember that frogs are not the top of the food chain, they already have other predators (snakes, birds, etc.). Humans are just part of the ecosystem. You can't act like our purpose on earth is to not get in the way of any other organism.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is a much larger frog than I was expecting! I had to read the caption a couple times. At first I was thinking that frog actually rode with you for a while spining around over and over. If you didn't notice it, I guess it would have!

·
Columbus, GA
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is a much larger frog than I was expecting! I had to read the caption a couple times. At first I was thinking that frog actually rode with you for a while spining around over and over. If you didn't notice it, I guess it would have!
Haha, that would be a scary ride. I turned the wheel slightly once I got the bike down and the frog started moving to the spokes.

And if anyone was wondering, I believe it's just a Gray Treefrog.

·
see me rollin, they hatin
4,619 Posts
i had a frog NOT like my bike!
big bullfrog jumped into my wheel, got caught in the spokes, spun around a few times with a sickening thud, and went flying off to the side.....and hopped away! i dont know if i mortally injured it though :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.