Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mom just called- sister took a dive going down a hill on her crappy Wal-mart type bike and caught the end of the handlebar into her thigh. Apparently it's bad enough that she couldn't walk on it, caught an ambulance ride, and is going to get operated on this afternoon. She could have hit a patch of ice, but the brakes on this POS bike are certainly suspect since she'd been complaining about them and someone had tried to work on them recently (could have been her husband).

THIS IS MY SISTER WHO IS RECOVERING FROM A STEM CELL TRANSPLANT, she's still on fairly high doses of prednasone, so healing may be a real adventure. :madman:

·
Registered
166 Posts
:eekster:

My brother bought his wife and himself bikes for Christmas. Prior to handing over his credit card, he called me to see what he should look for in beginner bikes. First words outta my mouth, if you buy Wal-Mart or any other cheap bike like it I will beat your @ss! I know my brother well enough to know he would destroy the bike quickly and possibly injure himself in the process. Of course my brother questioned my sanity for willingly shelling out at bike store prices... I tried convincing him by recanting stories (like your sis's); that didn't work. :madman: Finally in the end, it was you get what you pay for but eventually you will shell out. Either at the bike store or at the ER, your choice.

I'm sorry to hear about your sis, here is to her making a speedy recovery. But I'd still coax her to ditch the Wal-Mart type bike; hopefully this unfortunate incident will cement that.

·
Ridin' dirty!
2,264 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your sister....but since prednisone is a steroid shouldn't that actually speed up the healing process?
Anyways, not a good start for a new year hope she'll be fine soon.

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: she said she just hit ice. 500+ stitches later, she's experiencing 'better living through chemistry' but she's OK.

I told her to leave the stunts to me from now on!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
verslowrdr said:
500+ stitches later
500+ stitches from ice?! :shocked: Well...does it give her, her first mtb scar/badge? :ihih:

In all seriousness, glad to hear she's ok!

·
Slothful dirt hippie
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 500+ stitches are from where the bar end impaled her thigh, made a 90 degree turn, then burrowed some more before deciding it had gone far enough. Sounds like most of the needlepoint is on the inside.

I've heard about this exact same injury on here. I'm glad we've got our unfashionable climbing bars.... in this situation they'd still make one hecka bruise, but should prevent the bar from meat-spelunking. :eekster:

·
Coyotewoman
184 Posts
Boy,does your sisters injury sound familiar! My first mountain bike.I figured out I loved mountain biking on it but I'm lucky it did not kill me instead! 50$ at Kay Bee toys.Weighed about 40 pounds.I was riding a bit of single track alone,took a curve a bit fast and was afraid I was going to hit a tree and grabbed the front brake to much.OTB,the end of the handle bar buried in my thigh.I was very lucky I did not end up like your sister.I had not noticed until then that the grips did not cover the ends of the bar,they were exposed metal:yikes:
8 years later I still have a bit of a indent in my leg.It was discolored for 3 years.I was so determined to not give everyone saying I was going to quit the satisfaction I got up and rode 8 miles,went home took a shower and went to lunch with a friend.I got up from the table after lunch and almost passed out.My leg had swollen up to twice it's size!All I remember is the waiter saying"it's not food poisoning is it?!!":D
I'm lucky that bike did not break with some of the trails I did on it!
I sure hope your sis has a speedy recovery and she can get set up with a decent bike.Good hardtails can be had for very little these days used and they are so much safer and fun to ride than cheap bikes.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oy! I sure hope she recovers quickly--healing vibes sent from Colorado. :)

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
OMG Glad to hear she's doing ok. Stitches are never fun in my book, but better than worse alternatives. As a sister I send healing hugs to you both.:eek:

Fiona

·
Registered
510 Posts
holy crap, i've never heard of 500 stictches, that's huge. Hope all goes well for her. I had a brake lever impale through my thigh recently, muscle takes a while to heal. Best wishes to your sister for a speedy and healthy recovery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.