Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fridays Ride - 2010 Slatyfork Shuffle

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  CraigCreekRider 
#1 ·
As a follow-up to the Thursday Slatyfork ride post, here's a ride report on Friday's adventure.

Gathering up the goods at the overlook on Scenic Highway 150

Into the woods on Gauley Mountain Trail

First break at the top of Red Run

At least one clown in this picture, left to right Hecklerboy, CCR, and Outdoornut

Another dry stretch of Gauley Mountain trail

Onto Bear Pen trail, my personal favorite (along with Kennison Mountain)

Some really tight spots along Bear Pen makes rock navigation tricky

The Bear Pen climb

Hecklerboy (on his non-Heckler steed) can still ride the rocks

Outdoornut carving his way through Bear pen

Davis at a creek crossing

Most of us did not make it across that one dry.

Deep dark forest near the top of Boundary

Davis at the top of Boundary

CaptPhun taking a break at the Boundary overlook

Taking a break before tackling Turkey Point

Closing in on camp

The carnage began up here. There were several crashes on this rocky ridgetop on Turkey Point. I walked the 1/8 of a mile or so rock garden.

This was a brutal trail. At the very top was a really cool stretch of spruce forest with fun switchbacks and multiple lines. Then the rock garden. Then it got steep and wet.

That's were the fun ended for me. As the saying goes, it's steeper than it looks in the picture (below) - and it really is. I took a bad line and ended up on the left side of that log lying parallel to and in the trail. I immediately realized I screwed up and the last thing I remember was tapping the brakes trying to stop. I had no idea my Blur could fly so well upside down. Unfortunately, the rider did not fare as well as the bike. I came down hard on my left hand and rib cage. Thankfully Hecklerboy and ODN heard my yells and waited. After a bone check, I was able to limp out of the woods on the last mile or so of the ride.

Any of you other Shuffle hosers got any pics, feel free to post em here or on a new thread. Like to see what you got.

See less See more
#5 ·
Man, that Specialized Hardrock beat the crap out of me.
I was praying for my disc brakes and 5 inches of travel going down Turkey Point.
Now I know why I bought the Heckler.
Parts will be in next week so she'll be back on the trail soon.

#9 ·
The heat in Slaty was nothing to what I'm dealing with now on Amelia Island. 99F now with a heat index of 115. Almost too hot to drink. Almost. Will have to see if the dead fork can be resurrected when I get home. Fully rigid on that Turkey Point descent wasn't much fun. I think we have a new contender for the title "Worst Rock Garden in WV". That's all I got, I took a grand total of zero pics.

#11 ·
Hecklerboy said:
Yeah, I want to see that. Someone said they got a pic of me taking a bath.
Superman must have been thirsty. Or is that Hecklerboy hunting salamanders?

Guess this opens up the way for those not ready for prime time pics. Think I heard a camera snap on my half-way cross the creek run. ODN has some pics of my not so great technical riding skills on Bear Pen as I dab my way through the rock garden:D

#13 ·
Well I'm on vacation near DC seeing my two grand daughters but thought I'd take a moment to post a few of my Friday pics.

Wasn't going to post the dab but since CCR mentioned it.

Whoops, more from Gauley and Bear Pen

Is that a new englanders bike?

Back to Boundary trail and Turkey Point. Smile Capt - the mud will wash off.

Still smiling ? He must have had a bear in that pack.

I love Boundary Trail even though it does kick my A$$.

Starting down Turkey Point. What an awesome beautiful trail (at the top) and scary (at the bottom ).

Didn't get any pics on the way down, was hanging on tooo hard. Will post video as soon as I get it edited.

Will post my Kennison pics in CCR's Thursday ride post.

ODN

#14 ·
CraigCreekRider said:
Superman must have been thirsty. Or is that Hecklerboy hunting salamanders?

Guess this opens up the way for those not ready for prime time pics. Think I heard a camera snap on my half-way cross the creek run. ODN has some pics of my not so great technical riding skills on Bear Pen as I dab my way through the rock garden:D
That is freakin awesome. Probably one of the best pics I've ever taken.
The water did taste pretty good though.

And as usual you can see Capt in the background enjoying my display of skill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.