Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
I saw a post from a guy who is 6-10 or 6-11 about his custom 29er that is being built. Maybe the 36er would be more appropriate at that height?

G

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's goofy

This is a project that I initially did not want to take on - I spent an hour talking to the customer, basically stating variations on the "This will probably suck to ride, I have never built a 36" wheel bike, if it sucks it's not my fault, I recommend you not do this" theme, and he finally convinced me by basically saying that this is something he wants just for sheer weirdness. He knows it'll be slow and heavy and handle like a tank, and he's ok with that.

So yes, you can get out your clown suit, Thy. I spent a lot of time yesterday just staring at the frame and giggling. It's that weird.

-Walt

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
I've got one in the planning stages just for fun. I rode something called, I believe, The Monster Bike about 10 years ago and it was totally fun cursing around Eugene on one. Freak bike for a freak town. I just want something for town cursing so I can retire my '53 Schwinn Corvette from that duty.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
dbohemian said:
I even drew one up once. Stupid, yes...seems kind of fun to do in a weird way.

Dave Bohm
Bohemian Bicycles
Me too. I drew up a fairly conventional one a few years ago when Ben first showed his, then after riding James Bleakley's at the RMBS I drew this one up. Not happy with the seat tube but I got lazy since I already have a 11.5" radius, 1.25" roller mandrel.

Can't tell in the drawing, but I figured to buck & form the top tube and seat stays into one piece out of 4130 flat stock. Same with the chain stays. Hot rod style.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
dbohemian said:
I think yours looks cooler:thumbsup:

Although I think I would need to have you modify my jig so I could build a front center that long.

D Bohm
Bohemian
I don't think so. FC is only about 29.5". Top tube length is ~23" effective. Your fixture has the head tube height ability too.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Walt said:
Cool. You need new handles. Why don't you sell that one and get yourself one of the new Type 2 JMans? Have your people contact my people. And dust that thing off once in a while! Lemony Pledge works perfectly and gives nice Martha Stewart feel to the shop.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Walt said:
snip....He knows it'll be slow and heavy and handle like a tank, and he's ok with that....
-Walt
You know, they actually ride pretty well and can feel pretty snappy. Keeping the wheelbase short (relatively) like you did helps and lots of offset to sharpen up the front is good too.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someday...

This fixture has to last until Sarah finishes grad school and gets (ahem!) a job, hence relieving me of some of the burden of paying all the bills and such.

I'm guessing I'll be talking to you and your "people" in about 2 years, barring Sarah's latest NMR project bogging down like the last one. Then I'll sell this baby to some local, move to our new abode sans fixture, and buy a new one.

At least that's the plan right now. And you're right, I do need new handles. They are mostly trashed. What can I say? After about 300 frames, she's bound to show some wear and tear.

BTW the wheelbase on the 36er is about 47.5", fork rake is 80mm, and trail is 74mm. Should be about as snappy as something with 4# tires can be.

-Walt

DWF said:
Cool. You need new handles. Why don't you sell that one and get yourself one of the new Type 2 JMans? Have your people contact my people. And dust that thing off once in a while! Lemony Pledge works perfectly and gives nice Martha Stewart feel to the shop.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Walt said:
This fixture has to last until Sarah finishes grad school and gets (ahem!) a job, hence relieving me of some of the burden of paying all the bills and such.

I'm guessing I'll be talking to you and your "people" in about 2 years, barring Sarah's latest NMR project bogging down like the last one. Then I'll sell this baby to some local, move to our new abode sans fixture, and buy a new one.

At least that's the plan right now. And you're right, I do need new handles. They are mostly trashed. What can I say? After about 300 frames, she's bound to show some wear and tear.

BTW the wheelbase on the 36er is about 47.5", fork rake is 80mm, and trail is 74mm. Should be about as snappy as something with 4# tires can be.

-Walt
Tells you where I'm at, I thought she'd finished that already! You'll want to get one before I retire and I'll know next summer if that will be very close at hand or a very long time away. :)

You going to be around my neck of the woods anytime soon?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.