Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
( . )( . )
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the chances that some of the trails will dry out by Friday for a morning ride? Or is it gonna be a foothills weekend to stay away from the mud?
 

·
Basura Blanca
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
That probably depends upon what part of the state you're in, and you didn't specify. I had nice ride this evening and didn't hit any mud, but the southern portion of the county got more rain.
 

·
Stucco Bucket
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Im digging on Placitas lately. Try some of the smaller hard to find trails. We did it today and only saw two mud patches in nine miles. and it was coooool to the touch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
looking at the rain gage for Oak Flats area they have gotten 6.5 inches of rain so far this July. Over half of that came last weekend. That's a pretty accurate gage, so should give you an indication of what the southern part of Cedro might be like. Interestingly, places like Otero can be nearly dry, while just a canyon or two over, it can be a mudbath, and vice-versa. If you got specific about which trails you want to ride, I bet some of the locals would chime in with current beta.
 

·
( . )( . )
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry, those were the trails I was wondering about; cedro, otero, east side of sandias. anyone ridden there last couple of days? I figured the foothills drain off pretty good and would be a good alternative if needed. thanks.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
67 Posts
the_owl said:
Im digging on Placitas lately. Try some of the smaller hard to find trails. We did it today and only saw two mud patches in nine miles. and it was coooool to the touch.
I hear there has been some work done out there. I'm talkin' berms, jumps, tables...etc.

Any truth to this?
 

·
Stucco Bucket
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
Slick&Slam said:
I hear there has been some work done out there. I'm talkin' berms, jumps, tables...etc.

Any truth to this?
oh yea :thumbsup:
And the recent rains have changed things up big time.
 

·
Bandolero
Joined
·
2,438 Posts
muzikym said:
sorry, those were the trails I was wondering about; cedro, otero, east side of sandias. anyone ridden there last couple of days? I figured the foothills drain off pretty good and would be a good alternative if needed. thanks.
Tunnel/Otero/3btls/Bdo were a bit soggy early on yesterday. By noon they were all good.

It's the only place I've ever ridden that is you can have soul-sucking mud/rejuvenating packed/dusty conditions in a 9 mile ride.
 

·
( . )( . )
Joined
·
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
notaknob said:
Tunnel/Otero/3btls/Bdo were a bit soggy early on yesterday. By noon they were all good.

It's the only place I've ever ridden that is you can have soul-sucking mud/rejuvenating packed/dusty conditions in a 9 mile ride.
Looking out the window at work, seems that all of this area is getting pounded with rain. Just my luck :madman: I didn't want to believe Steve Stucker this morning, but I guess he was talking the truth this time.
 

·
Stucco Bucket
Joined
·
1,920 Posts
uconn1150 said:
Where are the Placitas trails?
theres two turnoffs about 3/4 mile past the stripmall market thing. On the right. the 2nd entrance is where I like to start. then theres a trail that appears to head Southwest, but it immediatley turns and starts climbing east.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,297 Posts
Muddy ins and outs.

slimguns said:
What's so bad about a little mud? :)
It is really really bad for trails in our environment. Up here where I live you can still see wagon ruts that went through the mud one hundred years ago. You can imagine what a couple of hundred mountain bikers will do. Once there is a rut, people go around it and thus widen the trail. Most of us would like to keep single track single.
To each their own, but staying off of muddy trails is good for the long haul.

Have fun.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
67 Posts
notaknob said:
Tunnel/Otero/3btls/Bdo were a bit soggy early on yesterday. By noon they were all good.

It's the only place I've ever ridden that is you can have soul-sucking mud/rejuvenating packed/dusty conditions in a 9 mile ride.
It was a BIT soggy yesterday as well.:madman:

You don't know soul-sucking mud until you have battled the FT road:eekster: !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
That's why I'm still a newbi

Thanks for the explanation. Guess I din't think of that. :madman:

Guess my more riding in the rain.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
67 Posts
slimguns said:
Thanks for the explanation. Guess I din't think of that. :madman:

Guess my more riding in the rain.
It's not so bad in our neck of the woods.

Although, we did a number on the trails yesterday (not purposely).

mtbike52...stay away from the trails above Otero for another week or so, it's UGLY:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,341 Posts
I hear that. Yesterday Otero was in great shape. The further south or higher up the wetter it got. Plus more rain yesterday afternoon. I was guessing that we were around 6-7 inches lately.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
67 Posts
mtbike52 said:
I hear that. Yesterday Otero was in great shape. The further south or higher up the wetter it got. Plus more rain yesterday afternoon. I was guessing that we were around 6-7 inches lately.
The rain yesterday afternoon CAUGHT us. What a freegin' nightmare.

The Burn has changed the shape of that slope below the towers forever. It's cool to see how mother nature giveth and taketh away.
 

·
wannabee
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
the_owl said:
theres two turnoffs about 3/4 mile past the stripmall market thing. On the right. the 2nd entrance is where I like to start. then theres a trail that appears to head Southwest, but it immediatley turns and starts climbing east.
The strip mall have a restaurant or two? Where do you park. I'm trying to google earth/map it. Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top