Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather forecast is calling for another great day on Friday, so who wants to take advantage of it @ BB? Morning or afternoon is cool so post up if you are in.

JP

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
I'd love to, but I have to see what's up with work first. There's a good chance I could squeeze in a late afternoon/early evening ride (say, 3 PM on) but I'll have to wait and see. How's the battle wound treating ya? Nice to see it didn't take away the desire to ride. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm open all day on Friday so late afternoon/evening could work.
It cleaned up nicely and the scrape was looking good by morning, but it swelled up like a golfball! It's all good now though. Nothing a little ice couldn't fix! ;)

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Jeremy, here's the loop we've been doing. Best way to I-trail and back : )

Toll Booth.

Up 1 mile trail
Up Lane
Down Little Bear
Up Salt Lick
Up Pitch Pine
Up Broken Boulder
Left (Up) Podunk
Right onto I-trail, across from Lynx trailhead
I-Trail all the way back to Podunk
Bear Hill Singtrack ( left off podunk, short climb to down tree and right onto single track)
Bear Hill puts you back on Podunk
Hayes Field to Carr Ridge and back to the Toll Booth

It's just under 17 miles, very nice flow.. Moderate climbs the first half of the ride, mostly flats and down hill from I-trail back.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
snowdrifter said:

Toll Booth.

Up 1 mile trail
Up Lane
Down Little Bear
Up Salt Lick
Up Pitch Pine
Up Broken Boulder
Left (Up) Podunk
Bear Hill Singtrack ( left off podunk, short climb to down tree and right onto single track)

It's just under 17 miles, very nice flow.. Moderate climbs the first half of the ride, mostly flats and down hill from I-trail back.
If you take I-trail all the way, doesn't it come out (or cross) the bear hill trail? Meaning, isn't the bear hill singletrack just a continuation of I-trail? Louis, you out there? Set me straight, bud.

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
PAW, no, I-trail all the way dumps out on Podunk just short of the gate to Ferret and Bear Hill. You can go that way, climb up Bear Hill, short lung buster of a climb, or go down Podunk 1/4 mile or so. There's a very steep Jeep trail on the left going up to Bear Hill Summit, turn up that for just 50' and right onto the single track, this way you can do
the singletrack without the climb : )

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SD, thanks a ton for the loop info. Hopefully I'll remember some by site too.

I'll be there @ the toll booth a little early. See you guys there. Let's plan on being ready to ride by 1:00.

JP

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys
I'll be there with my pig of a bike:eek:ut:
one problem..anyone have a address of something near where your meeting so I can print out a map? I'm coming from Henniker (west of concord) ..and I don't know any roads at all in that area :eek:

·
customized
3,123 Posts
snowdrifter said:

Toll Booth.

Up 1 mile trail
Up Lane
Down Little Bear
Up Salt Lick
Up Pitch Pine
Up Broken Boulder
Left (Up) Podunk

I have flaws with this loop. Instead of Lane, do Sentinal Pine, Chipmunk instead of the lower part of broken boulder and Pines. You then cruise down the road to Broken Boulder. The only proper way to get to the top of I-trail is to climb it or climb Lynx in another loop. As the great BC once said, "No Fireroads!" (unless for a small connector). Instead of Bear Hill, it is Hedgehog all day. Then back your way. This is my classic loop as most I know dig the more technical trails. If I am at the top of I-trail from the way you went, I say go down Lynx then around the pond counter clockwise. Then Pines to broken boulder to bobcat to hayes to your way again. Another cool addition is to go up to sentinel from carr and then up cascade and catamount.

Bear Hill is not a continuation of I-trail. Hall Mountain and Lynx (as well as podunk) are at the top of I-trail and podunk road is on the bottom as well. Podunk parallels I-trail. Bear Hill is down Podunk and up ferret a little. Think big log.

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
NEARMTB said:
Hey guys
I'll be there with my pig of a bike:eek:ut:
one problem..anyone have a address of something near where your meeting so I can print out a map? I'm coming from Henniker (west of concord) ..and I don't know any roads at all in that area :eek:
So you'll be coming down 89? If that's the case, take 89 to 93N to 393E. 393 turns into Rt 4. continue on Rt 4 until you come to the Epsom traffic circle. Go 1/4 of the way around, taking your first right on Rt 28S. From there, it's about 5 minutes or so. You'll see signs, and the road into Bear Brook in on your left. These are the official directions, but they suck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.