Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How often do you change the gearing on your SS?

• Never

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Maybe once or twice a year

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Maybe once or twice a month or so

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Almost every ride.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How often do you change your SS gearing?
Just wondering... no real reason for asking.

edit: my response is that I change it once or twice a year. I changed it last year for an long race and for a 24 hour event. Then changed it back eventually.

One reason I ask is because it sounds like people with the EBB and cassette style hubs can, and therefore do, change their gearing more often.

I am just wondering if making it easier to change out the rear cog results in people actually doing it.

I run an ENO eccentric and have never changed the freewheel, just the chainring, which is a pain.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Ahh, gearings all in your head. Get on the bike, peddle and wait for the hallucinations.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
One reason I ask is because it sounds like people with the EBB and cassette style hubs can, and therefore do, change their gearing more often.
I think people who like to change gearing choose a system that allows them to do it easily. I don't think having that system suddenly makes you want to start swapping gears. But what do I know, I'm lazy...

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:

I am just wondering if making it easier to change out the rear cog results in people actually doing it.
I changed for the Fargo Street Climb. :)

EBB doesn't help any more than other systems.

I have two wheelsets, freehub and freewheel. Freewheels are easier to change, more force needed but no spacers to fool with.

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I started getting into SSing it helped to have a setup that allowed easy and cheap gear changes - cassette/cogs/spacers. That way I found what works for me. Now I have settled into 34:20 and never change it.

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
How often do you change your SS gearing?
Just wondering... no real reason for asking.
I gear down slightly(from 34-18 to 36-20) in the winter to accomodate the sloppy going and tires with higher rolling resistance. I've also got a 3/4 mile climbing project underway that I'm hoping to clean someday running 34-22, but other than that I pretty much just leave 'er alone.

·
Category Winner
6,138 Posts
I only have one mtn bike so...

if I ride local, 34X17
if I go to the mtns, 34X19
if I go to the scary mountains where I use 2.6 DH tires 34X20
if I race in the mountains, 34X19
if I race a 24 or 12 hour race (no mountains) 34X19 or 20
if I ride fixed, off-road, local 34X16
I think that is it. I can't imagine using one combo for all those conditions. I would either go frustratingly slow locally or kill myself in the mountains. That said, I did do the last day of La Ruta on a 34X17 which did start with something like a 20+mile climb. I recovered from that last week.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
quaffimodo said:
I gear down slightly(from 34-18 to 36-20) in the winter to accomodate the sloppy going and tires with higher rolling resistance...
I'm the other way. 36/14 during the winter for less RPMs and torque control on icy streets. 36/16 during the rest of the year to keep the RPMs >100.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
In practice ...

Maybe once every 3-4 months. Although I did have my Vulture expressly designed to be able to work with both 34x20 and 34x22 with the same chain length (and have both cogs on my freehub), I had the same combination possible on my KM and hardly ever changed it. It will be easier to change than it was on the KM (no brake realignment needed), but still not effortless and I doubt it will be doing it often. I ride 34x22 90% of the time, but it is nice to have the higher gear for fast flat rides.

·
mudnthebloodnthebeer
585 Posts
Caffeine Powered said:
I'm the other way. 36/14 during the winter for less RPMs and torque control on icy streets. 36/16 during the rest of the year to keep the RPMs >100.
Hmm, when it gets icy I change the tune on my skis......... :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.