Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm landing in Frankfurt on Sunday morning, and I've got the idea in my head that I can rent a bike and ride the 100+km down to Karlsruhe instead of driving in a nice air-conditioned Mercedes.

Facts to consider:

- All the German I know I learned on Hogan's Heros.
- I've got a buddy with a car and a cell phone in the area to save my ass if I don't make it.

Poll questions:

- Stupid?
- Never make it?
- Should I just sit in a bar pounding giant steins of beer and watch Lance on the Champs e'Lysses?
- Know where I can get maps?

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Go for it!!!!

"Entschuldigen Sie mich, aber Ich möchte ein Fahrrad mieten."

translation: Excuse me, but I would like to rent a bicycle.

When you get to Karlsruhe and find a pub...

"Ein Hofbrau, bitte!" (or "Bitte! Ein Franziskaner Club-Weisse!" if you prefer... )

Seriously, just do it. It's only 60 miles [EDIT: It's actually closer to 80 miles (77 and change according to Expedia) and you can certainly find a map in the airport. If you get lost, you won't have any trouble finding someone who speaks english to help with directions.

·
Registered
387 Posts
A couple of things to consider:

1. What are you going to do with your luggage?
2. You are sleep deprived and your body clocks are 9 hours off. Ask fourarm and Pete what it felt like to do a SHORT post-touchdown ride.

Other than that, you should be good if you can get good maps and find some nice back roads.

·
Barneys Unite!
748 Posts
Easy German phrases to remember . . .

Bitte = please

Danke = thank you

Ein bier, bitte = A beer, please.

Ich bin nicht spionem = I am not a spy.

Nicht schiessen! Nicht schiessen! = Don't shoot! Don't shoot!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
And the German word for beer is...

Bier. Hey, if you want to learn the numbers in German, check out the phone sex ad channel on TV. It's better than Sesame Street.

·
Medium?
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Landing with a colleague

Renting a car. I'd leave most of my stuff in the car, and he'd drive down. If I get stuck, he would begrudgingly come and get me, I'm sure. I'm flying business class, so I'll likely get 8 hours of sleep on the way there. I realize it will be kind of a death march, but those make the best writeups anyway.

It's really the only time I'll have to myself in Europe. We're going to be in Oslo for at least one night (Tuesday) and maybe two if you want to come down and help me spend my expense account.

Biking Viking said:
A couple of things to consider:

1. What are you going to do with your luggage?
2. You are sleep deprived and your body clocks are 9 hours off. Ask fourarm and Pete what it felt like to do a SHORT post-touchdown ride.

Other than that, you should be good if you can get good maps and find some nice back roads.

·
Inbred Homebrewer
847 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
Renting a car. I'd leave most of my stuff in the car, and he'd drive down. If I get stuck, he would begrudgingly come and get me, I'm sure. I'm flying business class, so I'll likely get 8 hours of sleep on the way there. I realize it will be kind of a death march, but those make the best writeups anyway.

It's really the only time I'll have to myself in Europe. We're going to be in Oslo for at least one night (Tuesday) and maybe two if you want to come down and help me spend my expense account.
Well? It's tuesday. Presumably Eddy's in Norway? Anyone know if he found a bike and survived the ride? BV?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Too late

Fast Eddy said:
Should I just sit in a bar pounding giant steins of beer and watch Lance on the Champs e'Lysses?
Damn, I missed this thread over the weekend, and your adventure is either over or never happened.

Anyway, as you will know by now its about as flat as you can get between Frankfurt and Karlsruhe (other than Holland), so would make for dull riding. I would have advised getting a train to, say, Mannheim to shorten the journey. Gives you more spare time for the giant Steins.

I know a couple of places in Heidelberg that rent bikes but thats of no use to you now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.