Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Very Nice!

Here are a couple of my recent acquisitions/future projects. Both are vintage LRV frames circa 1978. Not mountain bike, but definitely vintage.

One will clearly need more "help" than the other.

TCN

·
Registered
725 Posts
Up close, it looks like a VRC mountain bike...

Blue Yellow Bottle Text Logo

But take a few steps back, and it's a 1993 Marin Limited Edition. I've always liked early Marins, and always thought road bikes from more mountain-bike-oriented companies were cool. I picked up the frame off ebay, and finally built it up with some parts I had laying around, like the Sante derailleur as a chain tensioner, the beat Flite saddle, and the Dia Compe Royal Gran Compe calipers. It's a fun ride, and thought it kinda fit with the road-ish photos already posted.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks!

It's been a while since I've seen one like this.

Actually, I'm really just focusing on getting the Blue frame finished. It's a tinted clear coat over Chrome. I'm currently looking for someone who might be able to duplicate it. I may just end up with a nice candy blue as a close substitute.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
IMO that black LX stuff is as good as you really need, and it will last forever if you take care of it (especially now that it's mostly hanging on bikes that don't get used much).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
wv_bob said:
IMO that black LX stuff is as good as you really need, and it will last forever if you take care of it (especially now that it's mostly hanging on bikes that don't get used much).
Agreed. My first real mountain bike (94 Kona Cinder Cone) came with that and it's taken a beating and still does what it's supposed to do without a hitch. :thumbsup:

·
artistic...
7,603 Posts
wv_bob said:
and it's the last year before micro drive took over.
i much prefer the "big"rings coupled w/ 11-30 cassettes.

·
Comfortably Dumb
365 Posts
wv_bob said:
Yep. It's funny in a way when certain people follow the lead of others and trash lower-end componentry, even though they have no long term experience riding it. I could see someone trashing an STX or LX derailleur because it blew up during a ride, but most of the time they are trashing it just to fit it with a certain crowd.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.