Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gimme friction
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a week to slack!

The weather is freakin' gorgeous, the trails are in tip-top shape, and work will be there for us next week, so...let's ride!

- Pine Mountain Loop

- Friday, February 2, 2007

- Rolling from Java Hut at around 10 AM.

The mighty Old_Dawg and myself are going to drag our slow arses up and around Pine Mtn.

Thinking BoFax road from Fairfax to Azalea Hill, up to Pine Mountain, down to Kent Lake, back up to San Geronimo Ridge, then finish through Tamarancho (mebbe even a ccw loop from B-17 extension if we're feeling grande).

I've no idea on mileage or climbing, but it's definitely a meat sandwich kinda ride. I'd guess around 18 miles, 3,000 feet, with a lot of it on pavement out of Fairfax.

Look for two confused-looking guys unpacking bikes from a gray Mazda 3.

:ihih:

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
I wanna slack, but I got meetings all morning. I could ditch, but that would result in certain unemployment. So I guess I'll have to catch the next one.

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
Thinking BoFax road from Fairfax to Azalea Hill, up to Pine Mountain, down to Kent Lake, back up to San Geronimo Ridge, then finish through Tamarancho (mebbe even a ccw loop from B-17 extension if we're feeling grande).
Hey Neil, can't join you, but why not go up through Tamarancho to the Pine Mountain loop? It's not that much farther. Seems a shame to ride pavement when you can be riding el 'rancho. Last year at some point I did a loop of Tamarancho, turned around at the end and went back up to B-17 then did the pine mtn loop and finished on the sherwood/new white's hill trail. Good ride and longer than you'd think, but you are taking the day off after all, right? :thumbsup:

-slide

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
slide mon said:
Hey Neil, can't join you, but why not go up through Tamarancho to the Pine Mountain loop? It's not that much farther. Seems a shame to ride pavement when you can be riding el 'rancho. Last year at some point I did a loop of Tamarancho, turned around at the end and went back up to B-17 then did the pine mtn loop and finished on the sherwood/new white's hill trail. Good ride and longer than you'd think, but you are taking the day off after all, right? :thumbsup:

-slide
(I'm in a boring meeting now. Wish this meeting were tomorrow morning, 'cause I could ditch this one and not get fired. Anyway, I'm bored, so I'm posting.)

I'd agree with the suggestion of starting through Tamarancho, heading out b-17 connector and hitting Pine Mtn from there. More fun, less pavement. I started this very ride Sunday but on the top of Pine Mtn it was raining pretty hard and I was cold, so I didn't finish it - just hightailed it for the car instead of heading down to the lake. :(

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
To meddle in your ride further, even though I'm not going...

You should eat pancakes for breakfast...

Wear a blue-colored jersey...

Order a brown ale after the ride...

Drive no faster than 75mph on the way there, and hold it below 70 on the way back.

Oh, and be sure to be safe.

·
gimme friction
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice all around. VERY good advice...

After further reflection, you're right...might as well milk Tamarancho for some singletrack on the way up. Hmmm, may have to adjust plans accordingly.

Slide or Mike, do you guys have a guess at total mileage / ride time including 'Rancho on both ends? I think we're trying to keep this ride under six hours, including lunch.

My guess is that it's doable, but this ride kicked my arse last time. I'm in better shape now (round is a shape, right?), and of course have suspension beneath the aforementioned arse should help with fatigue.

Ryan, hope to see you there! Sometimes work has to win the battle, just don't let it win the war.

·
So it goes.....
167 Posts
Plim said:
To meddle in your ride further, even though I'm not going...

You should eat pancakes for breakfast...

Wear a blue-colored jersey...

Order a brown ale after the ride...

Drive no faster than 75mph on the way there, and hold it below 70 on the way back.

Oh, and be sure to be safe.
1. I hate pancakes....eggs and toast for me

2. Only have yellow jerseys and a old ripped red one.

3. Brown Ale...yuccccckkkkk IPA or somesuch for me.

4. bah, what kind o' car are you driving? Zoom-Zoom!

5. Ok!

OD

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Quercus agrifolia said:
Slide or Mike, do you guys have a guess at total mileage / ride time including 'Rancho on both ends? I think we're trying to keep this ride under six hours, including lunch.
I just happen to remember that it took exactly 4:20 car to car. I think that was longer than I thought it would take so I wasn't stopping to sniff the flowers and had my panties all in a bunch about motoring through and finishing. You can cut some out by splitting for b-17 when you get there instead of finishing the loop and turning around. Or just head ccw to b-17 from the start then continue ccw when you get back to tamarancho if you have the time.

-slide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.