1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
passed out in your garden
2,853 Posts
Im going back to 3x, hell l might go 4x, the friction savings will be worth it

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
OMG 3 watts. If I had 3 more Watts I would be a world champion.

(ok maybe not).

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,282 Posts
Its funny, you could say that jokingly, but I wonder if that could have been the difference between Kerschbaumer and Schurter.

·
Cycologist
7,559 Posts
Looks like 1x1 may be an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

(ok maybe not).
I wonder how much the lighter weight of a 1x offsets that power loss.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I wonder how much the lighter weight of a 1x offsets that power loss.
Not much. The larger cog in the back largely offsets the loss of the chainring. The weight of the derailleur, shifter and cable might be 1/2 lb. If rider+bike+kit = 200#, that is only a 1/4% change where as if a rider has a 300 watt FTP, 3 watts is 1%.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
I'd rather deal with the friction loss of a 1x system than the constant chain loss of the 2x system. When I was running 2x I would regularly loose the chain from the front over fast, chattery downhill terrain. Running 1x I can use a proper chainguide. Totally worth the 3 watts.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
This is relevant to the tiny number of people who make $$$ from watts. For 99.9% of riders, a simpler bike means less hassle and more fun.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
I've been on 1x since we had six gears out back. It's not about weight, friction or crosschaining. There's just no need for the wide range of gears on a mountain bike. At least for me. My two bikes are a single speed and a 36tx9. Yeah, I never "upgraded". Why? I can climb all the trails I ride with that range.

I don't get having all that extra **** on your bike just to soft pedal to the next Enduro run.

I can walk up a hill faster than you can ride pedaling that pie plate marketing says you need.

Rant over.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Its funny, you could say that jokingly, but I wonder if that could have been the difference between Kerschbaumer and Schurter.
that is probably the only time 3 watts makes a difference.

All my Mtn bikes are 1x.
1x11, 1x11, and 1x1

my road bike is 2x11.

·
mbtr member
6,498 Posts
What this article doesn't show very well is that while it's only 3 watts average, that includes 2x ratios you'd never use, and it's much greater in your 1x bottom gear.

·
2,881 Posts
The effort to shove over that front derailleur, you know the one, the one that you've never maintained, that's got to cost you way more than 3 watts. More like 300. Plus, with 1x, I don't have to think about when to shift up front, and that extra effort made my brain hurt.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts