Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went up to Larch Mountain today for a ride. A mountain east of Portland, Oregon. Anyway, it is this awesome rooted and rocky forest ride that usually kicks my butt; therefore, I have been trying to improve so I can clean the sections that used to give me fits.

That darn Turner is so perfectly balanced and able to roll over almost anything it is amazing. Marzocchi Marathon helps also. Anyway, I can almost clean the whole ride. A few areas are too steep and rocky to climb.

I have had other bikes that did one specific thing better than the Turner. My Tracer climbed better. My Switchblade felt a touch more rigid. The Blur handles tight singletrack better. However, overall, this is the finest all around trail bike on the planet. Hands down. I've ridden 75% of the trail bikes out there. Keep up the good work Turner.

Jaybo

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Jaybo said:
However, overall, this is the finest all around trail bike on the planet. Hands down. I've ridden 75% of the trail bikes out there. Keep up the good work Turner.
OMG, Monster Turner Homer alert!

Honestly, glad you like it. Are you eyeing anything new these days or are you just gonna trade it in for the new decals like Pete did?

Have you tried a 5.5? I really liked the Spider I demoed...

·
mad aussie
1,129 Posts
That is the great thing about the 5-spot, it does best in technical terrain. I have had other bikes that did some things better, but the 'spot just keeps plugging along, finding traction where other bikes stall out and dropping down chutes and drops that previously would have launched you over the bars.
Now if only I could find some upgrades for the rider............

·
Registered
850 Posts
How far east of portland? A town close by as reference? Currently i live in OLY Wa, but I grew up in seaside and lived in Ptown for 5 years in the late 90's. I didnt bike as much then, just alot of city riding, and MT tabor. Back then I had a rockhopper FS, but that got stolen. At that time i couldnt even afford good beer, so replacing the bike wasnt possible. I had to buck up and finish school so i could get an dead end job that could one day support a different kind of drug habbit........ speaking of work i better get to it........

Oh, good to hear the Turner is doing good for ya. Ive been on my 5spot for 2 weeks roughly and have been loving it. Ive also had a DHR since spring and it brought my racing ability up a notch or 2.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guilty as charged!

tscheezy said:
OMG, Monster Turner Homer alert!

Honestly, glad you like it. Are you eyeing anything new these days or are you just gonna trade it in for the new decals like Pete did?

Have you tried a 5.5? I really liked the Spider I demoed...
I rode a 5.5 in the parking lot. However, as can be expected, I can't tell how a bike rides over a curb. However, I'm not a fan of the lack of tire room afforded by the VPP bikes. I hear Santa Cruz is working on that.

I'm sold on the Turner. I'm not sure what else I would buy that would improve my riding experience. I am interested in the cool new Race Face Deus crankset. Does that count? Otherwise, I'm as happy as a pig in slime with my bike.

Jaybo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.