Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Solum Volamus
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...I don't know if I'll get flamed for putting this in the NorCal forum, but I was curious what type of riding/trails are available in the Fresno area. More specifically in the foothills and Sierras off to the east within about a 50 mile distance from Fresno proper. I'm originally from Tuolumne County and don't know much about that area, but currently living in Utah. We're spoiled with abundant trails out here!

Anywhere I could live and have a decent trail or trails within riding distance of a house?
Any epic style rides in the area?

Thanks for any info!

·
don't try this at home
1,600 Posts
fresno and nor-cal is kind of a stretch, actually it's smack dab in the center of the state but i see no centro-cal forum.

it's been a very long time, sheesh! almost 20 years :( , since i've ridden any trails around there, but i would guess there are lots more then there used to be. squaws leap was always fun, bald moutain, bass lake area (surgar pine was a favorite in the day), dinkey creek area, all good times.

hopefully some local will list more.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I second Ogre on this one. Spatdog boys know the are better then we do. I can tell you will get way hotter this in the coming months.

Did you move from Utah? Why would you do such a thing:confused:

·
don't try this at home
1,600 Posts
0gre said:
well not too many "new" places, but good to see all of them from "back-in-the-day" are still around. those were definite faves. squaw's leap was always a blast, though it doesn't look like you can ride it all the way back down to millerton on the madera side. not that you "could" then, but it was definitely possible. ;)

and the trail from sugar pine down to cedar valley was always worth a quick run. we used to shuttle a lot of these, so i'm not sure how they are going up.

·
Registered
761 Posts
lots of trails within 50 miles, my faves are :
007 near bass lake has 7 miles of steady climbs and 6 miles of sweet singletrack all downhill.
squaws leap near auberry with options to ride 15 miles one way to millerton lake.
Hensley lake has a nice loop that can be run both ways.
We also have the MTB skills progression park at Woodward Park in N. Fresno. http://www.woodwardmtbpark.com/

·
Solum Volamus
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone! I knew it had to be our there somewhere.

Joseph-da-trog said:
I second Ogre on this one. Spatdog boys know the are better then we do. I can tell you will get way hotter this in the coming months.

Did you move from Utah? Why would you do such a thing:confused:
I still live in Utah and would like to stay, but I also have an addiction stronger than mtn biking even! If you can believe that? Just wanted to make sure there were some good riding possibilities in the area before trying for a job with the Air Guard out there. It's not an easy thing to give up....flying fighters or mtn biking both. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Solum Volamus
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LDH said:
lots of trails within 50 miles, my faves are :
007 near bass lake has 7 miles of steady climbs and 6 miles of sweet singletrack all downhill.
squaws leap near auberry with options to ride 15 miles one way to millerton lake.
Hensley lake has a nice loop that can be run both ways.
We also have the MTB skills progression park at Woodward Park in N. Fresno. http://www.woodwardmtbpark.com/
LDH -

That looks like a really sweet park you all have put together...nice job!

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,533 Posts
TUMBLEWEED said:
......... trying for a job with the Air Guard out there. It's not an easy thing to give up....flying fighters or mtn biking both. :thumbsup:
Are you kidding? Screw the mountain bikes, rawk the jets!!

I spent some time in the '70's near China Lake NB watching jets kick up some desert. It was so awesome.

·
don't try this at home
1,600 Posts
LDH said:
that's cool! a buddy and I used to have "races" doing short laps around the park all the time, connecting the trails with a couple water crossings. lol there was a little hump of a hill in the center, and whoever had the best legs sprinting over it on the final laps would usually win.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Tumble - I lived in SLC for ~5 years and then spent 1 year in Fresno. A lot depends on what kind of riding you're into. I'm more into the DH/FR scene and there isn't much in that respect. They built the Woodward bike park stuff right after I left, which I was stoked to see but bummed I missed out on, since it was easy riding distance from where I lived (Woodward Lake area). My favorite was 007 - basically a lot like a bigger, rockier version of Bobsled. Shuttleable but also a nice rideable loop with a dirt road climb. It was about 45 minute drive from northern Fresno.

It's great if you like long fire roads and some good singletrack. Sky Harbor was only about 20 minutes from my house on the northern end of town. You could conceivably live out in Friant or Sky Harbor and ride from your house, but the only real dirt riding in Fresno/Clovis is out near Woodward Park - they have the bike skills park and then the rest is basically flat dirt roads. They do a cyclocross series there in the winter, if that tells you anything. I was still glad to have it though, nice to be able to ride some dirt close to the house.

Otherwise a lot of the Sierra rides are just looong fire roads with some singletrack sprinkled in. Super easy to go 40-50+ miles...which is cool for seeing some beautiful country but the biking itself isn't all that exciting.

Hensley lake is close but it wasn't really my cup of tea - lots of abrupt up and down, kinda meh.

So basically, it's nothing like the access you have in Utah, and the trails aren't as good - but there is definitely some great riding, it's just a different style and you have to work a little harder for it. We still own our house there so who knows, might be back at some point. Good luck with your move.

·
XC rider
278 Posts
TUMBLEWEED said:
So...I don't know if I'll get flamed for putting this in the NorCal forum, but I was curious what type of riding/trails are available in the Fresno area. More specifically in the foothills and Sierras off to the east within about a 50 mile distance from Fresno proper. I'm originally from Tuolumne County and don't know much about that area, but currently living in Utah. We're spoiled with abundant trails out here!

Anywhere I could live and have a decent trail or trails within riding distance of a house?
Any epic style rides in the area?

Thanks for any info!
Lots of Fresno Trials at this link

http://bigsandyrace.com/Big_Sandy_Race/Trail_Maps.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.