Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Feel free to just skip down to the pics and avid my blabbering...

Got my new Retrotec not too long ago. Triple top tube non-suspension corrected 29er singlespeed (say that 5 times fast). Finally got it built up, broken in, and dirty.

My old bike was a nice all silver 26 inch titanium hardtail. When I started considering a new 29er, I wanted something cool, from a small one man shop, in steel, with a bright paint job -- think NAHBS.

I talked to a few builders before deciding on Retrotec. Curtis Inglis was by far the best fit for me. Very personable and excited to be building my frame and fork. Everything I wanted was no problem and he addressed all my questions and concerns with the kind of answers I was looking for. After one phone call I was ready to send in a deposit. You can definitely tell that this guy likes building bikes. I also though it was cool that Retrotec had been around so long, with Cutis apprenticing under the "infamous" Bob Seals.

I loved the triple top tube that Cutis had at Interbike last year. I had mine built non-suspension corrected and with extra standover. I also wanted the chainstay disk mount with downtube cable routing to keep the twin top tubes nice and clean looking. Other details: Phil Wood drilled out EBB, forward facing seatpost clamp, regular cable guides (no zip ties), split stops on the downtube. I went with the traditional Retrotec paint job. Since my BMX days, I've always wanted a light blue bike like Scot Breithaupt's OM Flyer and my favorite color is orange. I think the factory KTM motocross team ran these colors for a few years and I liked the combo.

Something you hardly ever hear... My frame and fork showed up early! When I sent my deposit in to Curtis, he said the wait time would be about 3 months. My new frame and fork showed up on my doorstep about 2 months later. I've owned a bunch of nice bikes over the years, and I've NEVER, ever gotten a frame early. I still had a bunch of parts to buy.

The frame and fork built up nicely. They arrived already chased, faced, reamed, and framesaver'ed. I went with all silver parts and a Brooks Swift in honey.

I've got a little under 100 miles on it and I'm very pleased with everything. The bike quickly became very comfortable and is a blast to ride. It is quick/snappy but at the same time stable/comfortable -- very well balanced ride. It is by far the best handling (and looking) bike I've owned. As soon as I'm done with a ride, I can't wait to get it out on the trails again.

Very happy with it. Thanks Curtis!

Build list:

— Retrotec 29er frame & fork
— Chris King headset
— Thomson Elite stem and seat post
— Niner YAWYD w/ Troegs Hopback Amber Ale cap
— Surly 1x1 Torsion bar (ordering a copy of these in Ti from Seven soon)
— Oury lock-on grips
— Brooks Swift Ti saddle
— DKG seat post clamp
— Avid BB-7 160mm discs
— Paul’s Love levers
— Jagwire L3 cables with Avid Flak Jacket shield-locks
— White Industries ENO 34t 180mm cranks
— Crank Bros Eggbeater SL pedals
— IRD Quad bottom bracket
— KMC Z610HX chain
— Hope Pro II Singlespeed hubs
— Salsa Delgato rims
— DT Champion DB 15/14 spokes w/ brass nipples
— Salsa Flip-Off front QR
— Chris King SS 20t cog
— WTB ExiWolf 2.3 front, Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 rear (both kevlar bead)
— Salsa Superlight tubes
— King SS cages

First batch of pics: Freshly welded in the shop and the Retrotec delivery vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
That is the hottest looking bike I've seen on here in a long time! I really like the combo of 29" wheels and non-suspension corrected fork. Just something that looks "right" about it, especially with a classically styled frame like a retrotec. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sweet! I was going to slowly build up mine, but seeing your's makes me want to build mine up when it arrives next week.

Beautiful!

I linked your photos to my thread.

I love the colors, reminds of the Gulf Le Mans racing colors.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Wow that's gorgeous!

If you don't mind me asking - what's the ETT on that bike and do you know the axle to crown height and rake and all that good stuff on the non-suspension corrected fork?

The more I see those Surly Torsion bars the more I wonder why more people aren't running them. They look great on that bike.

Thanks for sharing the photos and the parts list!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Excellent work

What a beauty!

Makes me all gooey inside waiting for mine to arrive ... got a SS Half in John Deere Green (currently at Syicp getting painted i think ....)

The surly bar looks great with the curves of the Retrotec ... I have ordered one as well and it will be a toss up between that and Mary ... :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
Damnit!!!

I sold my FS geared 26er, and keep telling myself I don't need anything more than my Karate Monkey and people keep posting Retrotec's!

That sir, is the epitomy (sp?) of cool.

What was your wait time? EDIT: If I had not skipped the blabbering I would have read 2 months, early, damnit! More reason to do it.

-Dan

·
Registered
804 Posts
Took a quick spin on this little (quite little for a wispy tall guy like me) beauty, and I have to say that it rides about like it looks: just amazing, I tell you. The detail, the love for craftsmanship, that goes into producing a frame like this makes me glad I have a frame on order, too. There is a gusset welded onto the top surface of the third (middle) top tube where it meets the seat tube; a two-inch piece of steel that serves a specific function in a place that I would not have really noticed had I not been dripping all over this thing tonight. I want, I want, I want!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The bottle cap will be changed... It was all I had in the beer fridge at the time that looked good on the bike. Although I like their Octoberfest, I'm not a big Sam Adams fan. They are a marketing company, not a brewery. My current favorite is Troegs Hopback Amber, which is tasty:

http://www.troegs.com/beers_hopback.htm

Here are the geometry numbers:

Effective top tube: 23.5"
Seat tube length: 15.75" (c-c), 17" (c-t)
Headtube length: 4.375"
Head Tube angle: 71.5°
Seat tube angle: 73.5°
Bottom bracket height: 12.125"
Chainstay length: 17.5"
Wheelbase: 42.5"
Standover: 31.5" (at center)
Fork length: 435 mm

Cranks: 180mm
Stem: 120° X 5° (with .5" of spacers)
Bars: 26.25" with 15° bend

It's about a medium, only non-suspension corrected and the standover has been increased a bit over a standard triple top tube. Not sure of the fork rake, but I'll find out. It was tricky, because to increase the standover, the arc of the top tube/seatstays was decreased, which also decreased the room on the chainstay for the disk mount. As you can see in the pics, the disk is tucked in there tightly. I really didn't want the disk mount on the seatstay, cause I wanted the twin top tubes to be clean and uninterrupted.

As AteMrYeats said, there is a small gusset on the top of the extra tube where it meets the seat tube. The is a big gusset at the downtube/headtube junction. Although it's hard to even tell, the twin top tubes/seat stays are not one continuous piece. This is done so Curtis can use different tubing since the top tube and seat stays require different tubing qualities. The brace in the middle of the top tubes is ovalized. The headtube badge has a nice brushed finish to it. Curtis' attention to detail and craftsmanship is just incredible. I think he's currently only doing about 50 frames a year.

Thanks for all the nice comments!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.