Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bend, Oregon has some fresh wood skinnies!!! Just finished up a couple of log-rides; one is on Marvins Gardens near the Phils parking lot, and the other is on the Ol' Dirty Pirate trail off COD. The season for progression is in full swing, and the forest gnomes have been busy with their saws. Enjoy

There will definately be more to come with all the blow down we've had this year.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Awesome. Find a faster way to rip those in the field yet?

Can't wait to see an Octagon of Death out there too. ;)

Will have to send MWestra et al over there as they will be down this weekend and always like inspiration for projects up north.

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I can rip way faster now that COTA has a BIG saw. We got a 75cc/ 6hp Husky/ 28inch bar; its a dream saw for log-rides and ripping decking.

·
Let's roll.
416 Posts
twotrickpony said:
Been a couple of years since riding in Bend. Can I hit COD and Marvin's Gardens from the Phil's trailhead?
Marvin's: Yes. The trail starts at the Phil's parking lot, right next to the trail map sign. Really fun trail. Rode it this past weekend.

COD: Not really. But you can take Marvin's from the parking lot connect with COD. Basically, you want to take the last right on Marvin's before you start descending the ridge that overlooks Century Drive. COD runs parallel to the road for a while. But the trails down by the Lair aren't all that well marked, so I usually take Phil's to the Chicken, take a left (NOT the double track, which is technically the first left and has a log laying across it), and just follow it until you eventually hit marker post 20, which is COD. Left takes you 'down' COD to the Lair, right takes you up COD towards ODP, Storm King and Funner.

I'm sure other's will chime in with 'proper' trail names instead of "left" and "right" but hey, I'm still learning the terrain out here. :D

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Two questions:

Does the new Marvin's Garden Trail run on the East (fence) side of the road up to KGB and then to COD? If it starts behind the sign, it would veer left and across the road, correct? I thought it was going to run around the West side of the big field below the TH.

And the :non-log spur hard left at the chicken is Express I believe which runs into ELV at GS per the map. Up GS to Storm King and down COD is good. :thumbsup:

http://www.bendweekly.com/images/Maps_PhilsTrail_2004.pdf

·
Muy Borracho
218 Posts
SmallAirAndy said:
Marvin's: Yes. The trail starts at the Phil's parking lot, right next to the trail map sign. Really fun trail. Rode it this past weekend.

COD: Not really. But you can take Marvin's from the parking lot connect with COD. Basically, you want to take the last right on Marvin's before you start descending the ridge that overlooks Century Drive. COD runs parallel to the road for a while. But the trails down by the Lair aren't all that well marked, so I usually take Phil's to the Chicken, take a left (NOT the double track, which is technically the first left and has a log laying across it), and just follow it until you eventually hit marker post 20, which is COD. Left takes you 'down' COD to the Lair, right takes you up COD towards ODP, Storm King and Funner.

I'm sure other's will chime in with 'proper' trail names instead of "left" and "right" but hey, I'm still learning the terrain out here. :D
It can be done, just take Marvins Garden towards the Lair, Right turn on KGB but I don't think there is a sign. Take KGB to Grand Slam, GS over to ELV, ELV to COD. Another better route is KGB, GS, Voodoo, Phils up to Helipad, down Storm King to COD, COD with a little side route to ODP down back to ELV, Long ride but good times.

Send out a message when your looking to ride. If I'm here I'll show you the route.

BTW, that new wood is pretty sick. I hit it with a bit too much speed on Sunday and took a nice little digger off the side. Cut the sh*t out of my leg.

saw Nasty Nick is also up to some nasty business up on Grand Slam... Looks to be very sick...

Nature Wood Natural environment Nature reserve Forest
I

·
Let's roll.
416 Posts
Borneo - Yeah, that would be Express with the log across the trail, and I guess the one I usually take is ELV if it extends from the Chicken across GS and into COD. As far as Marvins goes, the trail starts at the sign, goes down into and across the big field, and then gets you climbing up towards the Lair. You cross a few roads along the way, which is how it gets you up on top of the Lair. There are also some off shoot trails called "Wonderland" that appear to keep looping back to the main trail. Unless, of course, this isn't Marvin's Gardens that I'm referring to, in which case, you'd be better off listening to someone who's lived here for more than 8 months. :)

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, you are refering to the correct trail; but as no one has stated yet, Marvins Gardens starts at Skyliner Rd, and takes you to the Phils Trailhead.

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I've been busy, because there are more new log-rides.
The first 4 pics are phase 1 of a log feature on Grand Slam trail.

Phase 2 will be a more advanced line connecting to the other log

These pics are of the log-ride on Bens Trail; I decided to go out and give it a fresh shave so its a little wider, and hopefully more people will ride it now.

Everyone that has passed me on the trails while I was working, have been super friendly and supportive of the log crazyness that has consumed me. I greatly appreciate the smiles and support. Cheers

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Ooooh, if they let me loose with one of those big fancy new saws like you have...

Very nice as usual. Don't make them too wide!

No grumpy grunts from the prolific Bend airlight XC wanna be racer plum smuggler types?

If you can't put them in the trails, trail side options are always real good.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Marvin's Garden start point

Hey Nasty Nick,

Good lookin' stuff, can't wait to see how it all turns out. You mentioned Marvin's Gardens starting on Skyliner. Do I pick it up west or east of the road that leads to Phil's Trailhead?

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would be on the east side of the entrance road to Phils, It connects to the double track that parallels skyliner back to town. It starts right at the corner of the fence.

·
VP/ Terrain Designer
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Borneo said:
Ooooh, if they let me loose with one of those big fancy new saws like you have...

Very nice as usual. Don't make them too wide!

No grumpy grunts from the prolific Bend airlight XC wanna be racer plum smuggler types?

If you can't put them in the trails, trail side options are always real good.

Thanks!
We need to remember that features need to match the ability level of the trail they are on. We can't put a super skinny on a easy, green circle trail. Being so close to the parking lot at Phils, The log ride on Bens is very accessible to all types of riders. Easier features for easier trails, more advanced features for more advanced trails.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.