Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building my XL Sultan. Summer is right around the corner and I can hardly wait for good riding weather. My only hope is that I can ride this pretty thing like it deserves to be ridden.

The Build:
Thompson Stem and Layback Post
Reba Race 100mm Fork
Clear Ano King Headset
Clear Ano Salsa Skewers
Race Face Diablous Bar
XO Twist Shifters
X9 Rear Deraileur
XT Front Deraileur
XT 180mm Crankset w/ Salsa Bash Guard
Salsa Delgado Disc laced to Hadley Hubs (36 hole)
WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT Tires
Avid BB7 w/ 185mm front rotor

**For size reference, that's not a loveseat.

Attachments

·
involuntary dismounter
2,391 Posts
one can not under-estimate the importance of the bar plug :nono:...especially if one has been known to sometimes cruise the rider down forum...and has seen the effects of handle bar in the leg at high speed...:eek:

but man do i LOVE that blue! :thumbsup::D
let the riding season begin! :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Nice, solid build. More than any other bike I've owned, my Sultan encourages me to push my limits (in steep climbs, technical descents, fast corners, you name it), but even after four months I'm still learning what the bike is capable of. It'll be a lot of fun for you.

Is the ano blue or PC? Mine's ano, and looks almost identical, but the new PC version is supposed to be similar as well.

Attachments

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Very nice! Welcome aboard, the KoolAid is in the corner.

dH: Look! no milk crates.

S-W: See that's a couch too, and it fits!:D
Looks more like a tall man's Spot to me.;)

·
Alaska Turner Mafia
1,119 Posts
Looks Great!

Wow Clayton, it turned out super. That frame size makes the larger wheels look so proportional. I bet you're jazzed.

I made two loops around the bog off Campbell Airstrip Rd yesterday on my 29er snowbike that has those same tires. The tires are fantastic on packed snow. If you're antsy to take 'er out, but worried about the air shock in the cold weather, I'll lend you a coil shock with those same dimensions. I bet I have the right spring to fit ya too. Let me know.

Once again, looks great. Time to start thrashing it!

Rando

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's blue ano.
I'm not a big fan of the bar plugs. I'll take my chances trying to avoid the bar to the leg move.
Do you guys do Kool Aid keg stands?

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EndoRando said:
Wow Clayton, it turned out super. That frame size makes the larger wheels look so proportional. I bet you're jazzed.

I made two loops around the bog off Campbell Airstrip Rd yesterday on my 29er snowbike that has those same tires. The tires are fantastic on packed snow. If you're antsy to take 'er out, but worried about the air shock in the cold weather, I'll lend you a coil shock with those same dimensions. I bet I have the right spring to fit ya too. Let me know.

Once again, looks great. Time to start thrashing it!

Rando
Thanks for the offer Rando, but I have to go to work tomorrow and I'll be snowboarding all day today. Maybe we could get together for a ride in a couple weeks when I get home.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Daaang.....

The build turned out good! Rick said BB's Jane came in yesterday, so I guess another Turner build is in order.

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
Very nice, the 180mm xt's are a nice touch. How does the Hbar height feel with 3 spacers?

We need a Sultan build page. Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

·
Mr.Secret
642 Posts
I think the seat is a little high myself, or that's what I think when I see a saddle nose low.

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fine Tuning

I haven't had a chance to put any time on the bike as of yet. The seat is still in the same position as it was on a previous bike. From the very short cul-de-sac and back, I can tell you that the seat is a little high and definatly out of position on the rails. I am planning on getting it dialed in when I get home in two weeks.
R.T.R. and I discussed the Sasquach and I was right on the fence between the two sizes. I went with the smaller XL for better handling and slightly lighter weight frame.
The bar height feels pretty good with the one 20mm spacer. I think it'll be perfect when I get everything else sorted out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts