Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

some great threads on this forum! quick question...

i have limited training time (don't we all), and at least right now, a lot of it is being spent in the gym building some needed strength. i'm also trying to ride as much as possible (on the trainer right now, too much snow), but usually i only have around 1 hr to spare...i'm loosely based on Friel FWIW.

is it better to ride say 4 times/week for 1 hr., or say 1 time/week for 4 hours (or something else?)

thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
IMO frequency is better

if you ride once a week, your legs will get pretty stale by the next time you ride. If you have very limited time I'd suggest checking out Performance Cycling the focus is on short intense riding schedules. Block days of intervals followed by block days of rest.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I agree with Roger, they (read some of the experts) say that aerobic capacity starts to go away after 3 days of in-activity and if you are riding 1-2 times a week then you are just bringing it back or maintaining it. If you are able to exercise regularly you will increase it.

Of course I have also heard said experts say if you only have 8hrs a week to do something than focusing on your main activity is what you should do for the best results. i.e. if you want to get better on the bike than use that 8hrs to ride vs doing 4hrs on the bike and 4hrs in the gym.

It's all relative to me, follow something and stick with it and you will improve.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i would say ride 4 days a week and vary your intensity. as far as your aerobic conditioning, i am reading one of chris carmichael books at this writing and he and his experts stated the following in the book:

"A highly trained aerobic athelete can get away with doing absolutely nothing for 9 to 12 days before there will be an appreciable loss in fitness. However, it can take between 8 and 12 weeks to regain fitness lost after taking 4 weeks off."-The Ultimate Ride

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Saw some tracks headed west from the CWC on the South Brow, that you??
arrggh

i wish, i smashed my knee up on the ice a week ago and the doc said no offroad for now...so trainer miles only for me right now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.