Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crew of us Mass-holes are in the midst of some pretty bad cabin fever since trails are snowed in pretty well up here. Thinking of driving south MLK weekend & were looking at French Creek; how's it look down there? Mostly bare trail? Snow cover? How much?

We'd be looking to do 25mi + to make the drive worth it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Should be good,just got back from riding Antietam Lake/Mt Penn area,compacted heavy traffic trails are fast but with some spotty ice,unused trails have some resistance but very rideable.French Creek get much more foot and bike traffic and should just as good if not better.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report, some scattered snow isn't that bad, as long as it's not akin to riding non-stop sand. Studded tires recommended if you have them or unnecessary?

·
Registered
366 Posts
All trails in the Philly area are hard and fast as long as the temps are cold. No studs needed becuse snow melted during the last rain, dress warm and this weekend will be perfect. BTW Wissahickon trails are pretty nice too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Turner Flux 27.5, full XT, Easton Arc 30 rims, Project 321 hubs, Race Face carbon bar, Easton seatpo
854 Posts
French creek

Just got about a good 2" of the white stuff this morning. I rode outside of Valley Forge and it wasn't too bad. I imagine it shouldn't be too bad since a lot of it is covered by trees. But the temp is supposed to be very cold the whole weekend.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Conditions are great right now but its going above freezing mid week. I might be riding there Sat let me know what day your group is coming. Studded tires aren't needed the rare ice that's there is not slick and in small patches.

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
m-wilhelm said:
Conditions are great right now but its going above freezing mid week. I might be riding there Sat let me know what day your group is coming. Studded tires aren't needed the rare ice that's there is not slick and in small patches.
Drive down now ! Temps headed up later this week and some areas will be getting messy.

Conditions here yesterday were fantastic. Cold enough to keep things frozen but little wind. I went to brandywine and had a blast despite dinging the downtube of my frame in a small incident with an icy root.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
92gli said:
Drive down now ! Temps headed up later this week and some areas will be getting messy.

Conditions here yesterday were fantastic. Cold enough to keep things frozen but little wind. I went to brandywine and had a blast despite dinging the downtube of my frame in a small incident with an icy root.
Nice, thanks for the update. We're planning on riding Sunday AM I believe so fingers crossed temps. will dip down enough Sat. night to harden everything up. We're still under snow up here ("rode" on Saturday i.e. took the bike for a walk) so any improvement will have us stoked.

247 Posts
Mt Penn/ Antietam trails were beautiful this morning!!!! I rode for only a little over an hour because I'm riding there tonight too. The only trail I was on that needs some work is the T and T trail. A couple of trees are down there. It seems that there is always some trees down on this trail. Of course towards the bottom it gets muddy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Also there yesterday for 12-14 mi. then Camp Mack today for another 10.
Conditions the last couple of days have been perfect!

·
Banned
397 Posts
Whats trails are you guys riding? I was up there last summer and the trail I picked was extremely difficult to ride. Of course I can't remember the name of the trail, but it was ALL rocks everywhere. It leveled off up top and soon went right back into low level rocks. Their wasn't any other MTBers on the trail either only like two hikers. I believe it was the red trail? I plan on going back this year before winter hits.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/frenchcreek/frenchcreek_mini.pdf

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
Was up there sunday. Trails desperately needed some water. Baby powder dust on the surface made parts a little slippery. Rained hard in west chester overnight, hopefully some of it made it up there.

Got poison ivy on my johnson somehow ! argh. Last time I was up there I had a nasty crash that mangled my hip for a week. The time before that was when I got a tick bite and lyme. Not a good season for me and french but I'll be back !

·
Registered
825 Posts
Was up there Sunday as well. I thought the trails were fantastic. Climbed the longest rockiest hill of my lifetime to the top near the firetower.

·
West Chester, PA
5,003 Posts
A-Ray said:
Was up there Sunday as well. I thought the trails were fantastic. Climbed the longest rockiest hill of my lifetime to the top near the firetower.
I hate that climb. But the trail on the other side with all the step-downs is worth it. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.