Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First post in a long while, just kinda regained my passion! But anyway, I just pulled my bike out from the garage today and took it for a little spin around the neighborhood. I realized the fork was really hard. I dont have a hardness selector thing, but they are usually soft. I think its because the oil inside is freezing. How do I combat this problem?

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
In order for the oil to 'freeze', the temps would have to be well below -60 degrees F. The brand and model of fork might shed some light on your problems.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I have ridden mine in temps of 6 degrees f. and had no issues .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know its not "freezing" but it gets real stiff. It might be because its a cheap Suntour on my Hardrock.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
BikingGod said:
I know its not "freezing" but it gets real stiff. It might be because its a cheap Suntour on my Hardrock.
That is probably the correct answer . ;)

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
BikingGod said:
My guess is its an elastomer based fork, so the plastic spongy things that provide the spring action are getting really really hard and not compressing easily. Unfortunately I can't think of an easy fix besides getting a new fork.

·
InvertedDownHill
26 Posts
i had the same issue on my old forks, there just stiff, take it out and just work the fork, it may take some time but they need to be warmed up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright cool. Well, not cool but you know what I mean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts