Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode Bent Creek and the lower trails around the Fish Hatchery this weekend.
It was awesome. Just enough snow and ice to make the trails totally different, but still rideable. The highlight was the climb up the road to the middle of Long Branch>Long Branch> Cat gap. The snow/freeze /melt cycle had worked in such a way that we were riding on top of about two inches of snow without any punching through, just crusing on top. Cat Gap was seriously icy, making this familiar descent a whole other animal.

Seriously-it was awesome. Brave the cold and get out there!

·
"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
665 Posts
<<It's way on better than riding in hot weather though.>>

Yeah all that warm sunshine followed by a cool dip in a waterfall really sucks ;-)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We did Bent Creek again Saturday. True: ice and snow add another technical dimension to riding familiar single track or even gravel roads ! Wash Creek was treacherous coming down...when that front wheel goes, watch out! But snow is *relatively* soft to land on.

When (if?) Bent Creek ever thaws out, though, it's going to be a while before it's decent riding. It will be a PIT.

Anyone have glove recommendations? Hands are the only thing I can't seem to keep warm.

·
Beer drinking biker!
256 Posts
A few of us headed south yesterday and checked out Paris Mtn. Definitely a fun place! The weather was a good excuse to check it out. What can I say there is a reason I don't live in Gunnison, CO anymore...I don't like the cold! I keep hoping for warmer temps but riding and freezing my butt off is better than not riding!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Run/Ride

Ran 2 hours Mtn 2 Sea Friday heading north from Hwy 25 and it was totally awesome so im doing a night run there tonight.
Sunday i did a 3 hour road ride while my S.O. did a 19 mile run.
It is never to cold if you have the right gear and Santa stuffed your stocking with lot`s of toe and finger warmers and wool..ahhhhhhh
Great fun....

·
Giant Robot
185 Posts
below freezing is the key

Bent Creek is pretty good right now as long as it's below freezing. Many of the trails are mostly clear, so freezing temps just mean good traction on frozen dirt on the trails that have melted out pretty well. Above freezing, of course, it's a trail and bike-destroying mud pit...

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
litespeedchick said:
Anyone have glove recommendations? Hands are the only thing I can't seem to keep warm.
Check into the available handlebar-mounted mitts. I have a set from Sidetrak (bought 6+ years ago), and while I think they're RIP, there are at least 2 other companies making enclosures for your hands.

Above freezing, you may not need any gloves, and below, a full-fingered summer glove is fine... they're that warm. I always struggled to keep my hands warm and these work.

Since you're sticking your hand down in this enclosure, it will take longer for you to get your hand back out. Mine can be opened to any degree you wish via velcro, but I still do not recommend that you use them for the worst technical riding... but if it's the difference between getting out and riding the couch...

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
litespeedchick said:
We did Bent Creek again Saturday. True: ice and snow add another technical dimension to riding familiar single track or even gravel roads ! Wash Creek was treacherous coming down...when that front wheel goes, watch out! But snow is *relatively* soft to land on.

When (if?) Bent Creek ever thaws out, though, it's going to be a while before it's decent riding. It will be a PIT.

LSC- I have great luck with capiline liners beneather regular full finger riding gloves beneath full-on gore shells. Hands warm Sat and Sun.

My wife has a pair of Specialized Sub-Zero gloves that are the warmest things ever. She actualy took the liners out and wore the shells only on Sunday because her hands got too warm. These gloves live up their SubZero name. She won them at Icycle years ago, so I have no idea if they are still a available option.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I haven't ridden anything in our area since the snow. It sounds like Bent Creek is doable as long as the ground is frozen.

I rode Paris mtn a week ago and it's was ideal.

I rode Dark Mtn and the Overmountain Victory Trail yesterday. Very cold! Like mid 20's for the whole ride. There is snow all over the place but almost none on the trail tread. The tread is in great condition. With the freezing temps traction was very good. I'm guessing if things thaw out they will have a bit of mud in spots. It's a fun roller coaster type trail. I'd really like to go back again when it's warmer and ride Warrior Creek.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
When its really cold, half the battle is getting out the door.

It was 5* here this morning. Still have snow on the ground and its snowing right now.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Specialized Sub Zero gloves

I really like having the option to remove the outer layer. Usually after riding 20 minutes I take off the outer shield if it is 30+ degrees.
Riding on the trail when it is cold is not bad and can be fun. Riding on the road when it is cold is terrible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.