Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this freewheel is pretty well stuck on. The threads are doused in PB Blaster now, so I'll hopefully be able to get it off tomorrow. This will be the rear wheel for the Paramountain, which is almost finished...

I welcome any tips for really, really stubborn FW removal. I don't want to damage the Bullseye hub!
 

Attachments

·
nachos rule!
Joined
·
390 Posts
you need an impact wrench. the repeated hammering one of those babys generates will loosen stuff that brute force can't.

love the vise! hope it didn't land on your foot when it let go.
 

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
cegrover said:
Okay, so this freewheel is pretty well stuck on. The threads are doused in PB Blaster now, so I'll hopefully be able to get it off tomorrow. This will be the rear wheel for the Paramountain, which is almost finished...

I welcome any tips for really, really stubborn FW removal. I don't want to damage the Bullseye hub!
looks like you have a battle on your hands. i have these kinds of problems all the time since i work on old bikes for a living. soaking them is the first thing which you already are doing. i find that using a super huge 2 foot long crescent wrench does the job best. vice's are OK for freewheels that are easy and willing but a long crescent wrench will give you much more torque. put the rim on the ground and hold vertically. then lock down the freewheel tool with a skewer and push down with the crescent wrench.

if that doesn't work start thinking about removing the cogs and leaving the freewheel body on the hub while you change spokes or whatever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the tips! I'll pick up a long crescent wrench when I get the new vise - the longest I have is about 12" and I don't have a cheater bar/pipe that will fit over it. I did try using a large ratchet that fits the FW tool, but I ended up damaging the end of the FW because I can't skewer it with a ratchet in it. I even slipped an old Unishock fork over the ratchet as a cheater bar, but that didn't work. I've been hammering on the end of the 12" wrench with a rubber mallet with no progress so far - maybe the longer wrench + mallet will do it...
 

·
brain donor
Joined
·
437 Posts
While you're at it, get yourself a good, big vise. A brand new decent (ie not Chinese crap) vise will cost a bunch, but Wright Hardware in Costa Mesa often has beautiful old/refurbished machine tools and shop hardware that will last forever.
 

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
Joined
·
1,493 Posts
mwr said:
While you're at it, get yourself a good, big vise. A brand new decent (ie not Chinese crap) vise will cost a bunch, but Wright Hardware in Costa Mesa often has beautiful old/refurbished machine tools and shop hardware that will last forever.
whats wrong with Harbor Freight tools! ;) my 24" crescent is from Harbor Freight and works good. those things can cost a fortune from high end distributors.
 

·
Hit The Road Cyclery
Joined
·
923 Posts
cegrover said:
I even slipped an old Unishock fork over the ratchet as a cheater bar...
Hey! Someone finally found a good use for a Unishock!

Seriously though, get a better vise and/or a 3' piece of pipe that's big enough diameter to fit around your Crescent wrench, then find a friend to hold the wheel against a door jamb while you stand on the pipe. Body weight + long lever = you win.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-Anomie- said:
Hey! Someone finally found a good use for a Unishock!
Damn thing didn't even work for that! And, yes, it is a seized Unishock, so it's definitely not good for riding - it was on my '91 Axis (not original) in pre-seized condition when I got the bike (see before and after photos below). :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
Wilton vices won't do that - but they cost a pretty penny too.

That looks like a Shimano freewheel. Shimano freewheel tools have a nice deep spline. I can't recall ever having problems getting one off a hub - Suntour, yes, but not Shimano. Is it off now?
 

·
Let me ask my wife
Joined
·
358 Posts
What veloculture said.

I use a huge crescent with a three foot cheater bar on the end. Be sure to lock down the FW tool with a QR or if you have to remove the axle assembly, use a piece of all thread, couple of washers and two nuts. I found it much easier to hold onto the wheel with the tire on also. Never had one beat me. ;)

Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
ssmike said:
Wilton vices won't do that - but they cost a pretty penny too.
Amen to that. Anyone ever see the chrome one that was on the Campy support bigrig circa 1991?

I personally always found a stout vice preferable to the wrench/pipe method. The trick with recalcitrent freewheels is to get another set of hands from a person standing opposite from you on the wheel. Used to call it "driving the bus" for some reason.

Turning in the right direction to start with helps also;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Amen to that. Anyone ever see the chrome one that was on the Campy support bigrig circa 1991?

I personally always found a stout vice preferable to the wrench/pipe method. The trick with recalcitrent freewheels is to get another set of hands from a person standing opposite from you on the wheel. Used to call it "driving the bus" for some reason.

Turning in the right direction to start with helps also;)
I like the vise too. And a big fat tire mounted helps. And yes, I was scared to say it but righty tighty, lefty loosey. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,079 Posts
Bigwheel said:
Amen to that. Anyone ever see the chrome one that was on the Campy support bigrig circa 1991?

I personally always found a stout vice preferable to the wrench/pipe method. The trick with recalcitrent freewheels is to get another set of hands from a person standing opposite from you on the wheel. Used to call it "driving the bus" for some reason.

Turning in the right direction to start with helps also;)
Yeah, that was a nice rig back then. Kim and Tracy?

We used the driving the bus method too - make a big 'ole left turn!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ssmike said:
Yeah, that was a nice rig back then. Kim and Tracy?
We used the driving the bus method too - make a big 'ole left turn!
I'll throw a tire on there, too, though what happened to my vise proves I didn't have a traction problem. It is hard to use the wrench and floor method without a tire, as I've been putting a rag under the rim to prevent denting/scratching.

I've been turning it the right way, but you bring up a good point. I did have to think twice about which way to turn it once the FW tool was mounted in the vise...

Driving the bus is pretty accurate, though it reminds me of the college "driving the porcelain bus" joke!

- Cason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
cegrover said:
I'll throw a tire on there, too, though what happened to my vise proves I didn't have a traction problem. It is hard to use the wrench and floor method without a tire, as I've been putting a rag under the rim to prevent denting/scratching.

I've been turning it the right way, but you bring up a good point. I did have to think twice about which way to turn it once the FW tool was mounted in the vise...

Driving the bus is pretty accurate, though it reminds me of the college "driving the porcelain bus" joke!

- Cason
The tire also provides 2" of added leverage, not to mention its easier on the hands than a bare rim.
 

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
Joined
·
16,470 Posts
I personally always found a stout vice preferable to the wrench/pipe method. The trick with recalcitrent freewheels is to get another set of hands from a person standing opposite from you on the wheel. Used to call it "driving the bus" for some reason.

Turning in the right direction to start with helps also;)[/QUOTE]

Except when a crappy vise was in the equation, this method has ALWAYS worked for me too. I can't see the pics, but it's a Shimano I believe? Better tool than the 2/4 prong variety. Did you put the axle nut or QR back on, once the tool was on? That helps stabilize it too. Are you keeping the free wheel, or trying to remove it for replacement purposes? If the tool is slipping, or stripped, and you are just removing it to chuck it, I have also used the ugly method of crushing it in a vice (outboard from the hubs threads, of course) till it cannot move then off she comes, yes it's ugly, and yes, it's a last resort, yes you are generating garbage, but I have made several high flange Campy record hub owners cringe, then smile happily as it finally cracked off=:) Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
ssmike said:
Yeah, that was a nice rig back then. Kim and Tracy?
Yup. They camped out in my shops dooryard for a few days prior to a World Cup at Mt. Snow years ago. I about crapped in my pants when I went inside it. All that Euclid stuff laid out in the parts drawers.......the Wilton Chromed vice, and just the general layout of the rig was about as good as it got in those days. A few parts fell off the truck before they left, good folks and good times.

Kim blew a cassette hub on a ride we took and had to toestrap it to get back. It was a good thing it was before clipless!
 

·
Trying to grow a mustache
Joined
·
375 Posts
Dremel + patience...

After braking two vices, one from my local bike shop, I CAREFULLY dremelled the thing off. get some of the reinforced cutting discs, you'll use a few. Don't dremel all the way through but get as close to the threads as you feel comfortable. Then use a chisle to wedge the body off the hub. It worked great for me and now i can use my Suntour xcpro hubs with those cool concave campy rims on my next project. I think i broke one screwdriver in the process. Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Too bad others have broken vises - I was hoping I had superhuman strength. :) Of course, a crappy vise was VERY much in the equation in my case. I'll be vise shopping this weekend.

Plan of attack:
1) Buy a new, better vise and a long crescent wrench - try both of those methods, this time with a quality vise and/or longer wrench
2) If #1 doesn't work, I will try the "carefully smash in the vise" method
3) If #2 doesn't work, I'll try the dremel method...

Thanks for all the ideas!
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top