Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone doing it, im checking out a .243 FR hardtail, i'll be running a Marzhocchi Shiver, anyone done this? i just like the feel of a hardtail better, pedals better to me, weighs alot less, i dont do big big stuff, skinnies, transitions, small drops, im coming off a trek diesel and just looking to get my riding a little more technical, so figured i could do it with a hardtail? pics help too!

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
2inthehole said:
anyone doing it, im checking out a .243 FR hardtail, i'll be running a Marzhocchi Shiver, anyone done this? i just like the feel of a hardtail better, pedals better to me, weighs alot less, i dont do big big stuff, skinnies, transitions, small drops, im coming off a trek diesel and just looking to get my riding a little more technical, so figured i could do it with a hardtail? pics help too!
full shiver? or mini-shiver? full shiver might be a bit overkill, 190mm is (ok, putting on flame suit) possibly a bit much for a HT. I'd also suggest keeping your diesel (with the shiver) and building up or buying a FR HT as well. FR HT isn't for everyone, and the first couple rides are brutal as you get bounced around like you never did on your duallie. you get used to it, though, and it becomes a blast to ride. you learn to land drops smoother, and use your body to make up for the lack of rear suspension. it's just... fun.

:cool:

·
Registered
606 Posts
dante said:
full shiver? or mini-shiver? full shiver might be a bit overkill, 190mm is (ok, putting on flame suit) possibly a bit much for a HT. I'd also suggest keeping your diesel (with the shiver) and building up or buying a FR HT as well. FR HT isn't for everyone, and the first couple rides are brutal as you get bounced around like you never did on your duallie. you get used to it, though, and it becomes a blast to ride. you learn to land drops smoother, and use your body to make up for the lack of rear suspension. it's just... fun.

:cool:
Agree 100%!!!!

Freeriding on a hardtail is just plain FUN. Even small jumps are way more of a rush than the same one on a dual suspension. As long as you get fat tires, disc brakes, nice fork, and a frame with a 16inch or lower seat, you'll be set.

Doing drops on a hardtail will improve your skilz many fold. Dual suspension guys just need to get in the air and the landing does all the work for them. On a hardtail, the ONE thing you must learn right away is to always push your bike out infront of you off the lip of any jump or drop. The more you can do that the smoother landings feel. Even a 6 ft drops to flat can feel pretty good as long as you get that bike out far and get low behind the seat.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so?

burkenstox said:
So then you're not really into freeriding and a hardtail would be great for the XC/road biking that you'll be doing if you're not into the above mentioned stuff.
so are you going to answer my question, or are you going to keep speaking of what you know nothing about? 3 posts buddy, not a good way to make friends around here. why dont you see how its done before you go ahead blerting your bull$hit

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i had in mind

MicroHuck said:
Agree 100%!!!!

Freeriding on a hardtail is just plain FUN. Even small jumps are way more of a rush than the same one on a dual suspension. As long as you get fat tires, disc brakes, nice fork, and a frame with a 16inch or lower seat, you'll be set.

Doing drops on a hardtail will improve your skilz many fold. Dual suspension guys just need to get in the air and the landing does all the work for them. On a hardtail, the ONE thing you must learn right away is to always push your bike out infront of you off the lip of any jump or drop. The more you can do that the smoother landings feel. Even a 6 ft drops to flat can feel pretty good as long as you get that bike out far and get low behind the seat.
ive done the whole big hit, go big thing, theres no finess in it and its getting old to me, i want to learn bike control, feel what the bike is doing and make the bike do what i want it to, you cant get that on a F/S rig like my diesel, im looking to go to the next best thing and learn bike control, right now im also on an Azonic Steelhead for my park/urban/Dj riding. i love the feel of steel and i love being on a hardtail, i have to make that bike do things, full suspension does it for you and just takes the fun and tech aspect out of it for me, i think im gonna go with the .243 FR.
oh and im running a full shiver, dual crown, .243 says it'll take it, i might swap it out to a single like a 66? or a smaller dual like a 170mm 888?

·
hands up who wants to die
1,405 Posts
Unless you are doing really big drops, maybe get an Evil DOC with a 6" Z1? I guess it depends what sort of "freeride" you do.

I don't see the point of a dual crown on a hardtail, unless you are doing a lot of DH racing on the HT or else trying to save money by not buying a new fork.

-r

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what kind?

rpet said:
Unless you are doing really big drops, maybe get an Evil DOC with a 6" Z1? I guess it depends what sort of "freeride" you do.

I don't see the point of a dual crown on a hardtail, unless you are doing a lot of DH racing on the HT or else trying to save money by not buying a new fork.

-r
i want to do north shore style riding, skinnies, drops (not huge stuff though) technical riding, i have the fork so thats why id be putting it on, i dont want to get a new one, this thing has one season of riding, so its pretty much brand new and id lose $ on it by selling it.
i guess i would sell my diesel frame/shock and shiver for $900, its got one season of riding on both, and a custom paint job on it? i guess that'd be enough for a start on a frame and fork.

·
New project, TBA shortly
1,024 Posts
2inthehole said:
i want to do north shore style riding, skinnies, drops (not huge stuff though) technical riding, i have the fork so thats why id be putting it on, i dont want to get a new one, this thing has one season of riding, so its pretty much brand new and id lose $ on it by selling it.
i guess i would sell my diesel frame/shock and shiver for $900, its got one season of riding on both, and a custom paint job on it? i guess that'd be enough for a start on a frame and fork.
how about keeping your diesel and getting a new fork/wheels/tires for your steelhead? 7.5" DC is a tad much for a HT regardless of what it will theoretically take, and you don't want to end up with two bikes that are too similar...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trust

dante said:
how about keeping your diesel and getting a new fork/wheels/tires for your steelhead? 7.5" DC is a tad much for a HT regardless of what it will theoretically take, and you don't want to end up with two bikes that are too similar...
i wouldnt trust a steelhead past urban/park riding, not enough strength in the head tube, the frame just isnt stong enough period. i think now what im going to do, is sell the whole set up and pick up a King Fisher 1 or a Session 77, those things will pedal, and i'll keep the hardtail for my D/J and urban riding.
what do you guys think i could get for a 2004 diesel w/ DC shiver and FSA Pig headset for, extra CTE and and a set of 20mm rear dropouts, with very little riding in showroom condition? its painted baby blue also. (i like to stick out)

·
Registered
443 Posts
My recommendation

2inthehole said:
Is to choose the frame and fork so that you get the geometry you want. I don't know the specs on the .243 but you should make sure that you don't slack it out too much. Also, don't get it too nose heavy, I know the .243 is a cromoly frame so it might balance out.

I ride an Imperial with a 6" Breakout (good FR goemetry, 68deg HA) and have lots of fun. It's more work than my FS bike but you do learn better riding skills that translate back to the FS.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.